xviii. an innocent life

[WORD COUNT: 1368]

[WORD COUNT: 1368]

————

The final moments of Cedric's life replayed throughout Lorraine's mind as she stood. Her eyes still leaked tears but there was a hardness to them that had never been there before. All her life she had been submissive and was at her parent's beck and call, but watching how Voldemort could so quickly choose to end another's life sickened her. She understood why she had told herself not to get attached all those months ago because now she was torn at the sight of her best friend dying despite her best efforts to protect him.

She had to live with the knowledge that she failed. She failed to save Cedric Diggory.

Lorraine hurried behind the statue that Harry was trapped against and pressed her back against it as she listened to Voldemort and the death eaters, who had all just arrived. It seemed Peter and Voldemort had forgotten about her existence, which was fortunate for her.

"Welcome, my friends," Voldemort spoke to the death eaters. "Thirteen years it's been, and yet...here you stand before me as though it were only yesterday. I confess myself...disappointed. Not one of you tried to find me. Crabbe! Macnair! Goyle! Not even you...Lucius, Yeona, and Michael."

"My Lord, had I detected any sign--a whisper of your whereabouts..." Lucius pleaded.

"There were signs, my slippery friend. And more than whispers."

"I assure you, my Lord, I have never renounced the old ways. The face I have been obliged to present each day since your absence...that is my true mask."

"I returned," Peter spoke up.

"Out of fear, not loyalty," Voldemort snapped at the man who murdered Cedric. "Still, you have proved yourself useful these past few months, Wormtail."

"Thank you, Master. Thank you."

Lorraine turned her head to the right as she heard Voldemort walk in that direction and watched in horror as he turned Cedric's head with his foot. She cupped her hand over her mouth to try and suppress the sob of both anger and pain at the sight. How could he violate his body like that? How could he treat it like he was nothing?

"Oh, tsk, tsk, tsk...such a handsome boy," Voldemort mocked.

"Don't touch him!" Harry spat.

"Oh, Harry! I'd almost forgotten you were here. Standing on the bones of my father. I'd introduce you...but word has it you're almost as famous as me these days. The boy who lived. How lies have fed your legend, Harry. Shall I reveal what really happened that night 13 years ago? Shall I divulge how I truly lost my powers? It was love. You see, when dear, sweet Lily Potter gave her life for her only son...she provided the ultimate protection. I could not touch him. It was old magic. Something I should have foreseen. But no matter, no matter. Things have changed. I can touch you now." The Dark Lord's speech was followed by the loud screams of Harry as he was, no doubt, being touched by Voldemort. Lorraine wished that she could help the boy, but one slip-up would cost her and Harry's life. She needed to pounce when the opportunity presented itself. Or maybe not at all.

"Astonishing what a few drops of your blood will do, eh, Harry?" Voldemort mused as Harry's screams stopped. "Pick up your wand, Potter. I said, pick it up! Get up! Get up! You've been taught how to duel, I presume? First, we bow to each other. Come on, now, Harry. The niceties must be observed. Dumbledore wouldn't want you to forget your manners, would he? I said, bow. And now...Crucio!"

Lorraine let out a muffled sob as Harry's screams filled the air. Her heart felt like it was about to burst out of her chest, but it also ached. It ached under the weight of the suffering that was being caused by Voldemort.

"Attaboy, Harry. Your parents would be proud. Especially your filthy Muggle mother," Voldemort spoke.

"Expelli--" Harry tried to call, only for him to be cut off within seconds.

"I'm going to kill you, Harry Potter. I'm going to destroy you. After tonight, no one will ever again question my powers. After tonight, if they speak of you...they'll speak only of how you...begged for death. And I...being a merciful Lord...obliged. Get up!"

Lorraine was able to catch the sound of Harry's footsteps followed by Voldemort casting unsuccessful kill curses.

"Don't run away from me, Potter! I want you to look at me when I kill you! I want to see the light leave your eyes!" Voldemort yelled.

There was a long pause that Lorraine used to quickly change her appearance as much as she could with her wand. If she was going to reveal herself to Voldemort and her family, then she needed to be unrecognisable.

"Have it your way," Harry spat. "Expelliarmus!"

"Avada Kedavra!"

There was a flash of bright light before the sound of crackling filled the air. Lorraine peered around the statue to see both Harry's and Voldemort's wands were almost fighting to reach their intended target using a stream of light. Harry's was red while Voldemort's was green. It seemed that Voldemort was going to win, but then Harry was able to turn the tables. As the battle continued, a dome of gentle light encased both wizards and lights began to stream out of the area where the wands connects and took form of the spirits of people who had passed. She saw Cedric and let out another sob. It seemed he knew that she was there and looked over at her, giving her one of his signature grins.

"Cedric," she choked out, watching as his grin softened into something sweeter--gentler. He mouthed the words 'thank you' before adding: 'for everything'. She let out a wail, no longer caring if she was found or not, and crawled over to his body. She was ready to get out. She was ready to bring Cedric's body away from the horrid place they were in.

Harry let go and sprinted over to her. With her hand outstretched, she waited until he had grasped it and Cedric before touching the portkey. That time, at last, they landed where they were supposed to. Although, there was no joy within Lorraine and Harry. And certainly no joy within Cedric.

"H-He said that he loved you," Harry choked out as they both leaned over the body of Cedric and cried. "He said that it wasn't your fault."

Lorraine let out a strangled sob and pressed another kiss to Cedric's forehead before resting her own forehead against his. Her hands grabbed fistfuls of his tattered and bloody Hufflepuff shirt. She wanted the cheering to stop. She wanted everything to stop.

And thank Merlin it did once Fleur screamed.

Draco was at her side in a heartbeat, trying to pry her away from Cedric's body--much to her dismay. "No!" she shrieked. "No! Get off me! Get off me!"

He kept fighting her until she let herself finally, finally shatter. She collapsed against her best friend's chest and let out wails of pure agony. "He's dead!" she wailed. "He's dead! He killed him! Voldemort killed him!"

"He's back. He's back," Harry sobbed. "Voldemort's back. Cedric, he asked me to bring his body back. I couldn't leave him, not there."

"It's all right, Harry. It's all right. He's home. You both are," Dumbledore said softly.

"That's my son!" Amos, Cedric's father, wailed. "That's my boy! It's my boy!"

"I can't do this anymore," Lorraine yowled. "I can't do this. I don't want to do this. Please, Draco...!"

"Shh, shh, it's over now..." Draco whispered as he pressed a soft kiss to the top of her head and combed his hands through her bloody and matted hair. "Shh...you can rest. Rest, Lorraine. It's okay..."

He helped her onto her feet and followed after Madeye Moody, who was practically dragging Harry out of the stadium with him. Appearing on her other side was Ron, and it seemed at that very moment that the three of them could put their differences aside for just one moment when one was suffering. Draco welcomed Ron's help with open arms, Lorraine disregarded how Ron ignored her, and Ron treated Draco just like any other friend of his.

Lorraine's heart ached at how something so good could be born from something so awful.