xvii. his return

[WORD COUNT: 1770]

[WORD COUNT: 1770]

————

Lorraine had managed to recover miraculously fast thanks to Draco and, she supposed, his parents--for who could've taught him first aid by beating him senseless but his own parents?

"I assume you're going for Potter," Draco whispered in her ear as she sat with him, Crabbe, and Goyle. They were waiting for the third and final trial to begin, which seemed to be taking place in a giant maze.

"I assume you're going for Krum," she retorted with a roll of her eyes, which caused him to snicker. On his forehead were the words 'KRUM' written in red face paint. The words had been painted on by Crabbe, funnily enough, and Draco didn't protest against it. She had tried to let herself enjoy the joyful environment surrounding her, but she could barely shake the feeling that something was going to go terribly, terribly wrong.

"Glad to know you have eyes," he quipped, grinning at her unamused face. Dumbledore approached the microphone stand facing the crowd of students cheering for the four champions before them. They all looked terrified, excluding Krum--he seemed to be made of steel at that point, Lorraine was convinced.

"Sonorus!" Dumbledore yelled with his wand pointed at his neck. All music and chatter stopped that very moment and all eyes bore into the Headmaster's own. "Earlier today, Professor Moody placed the Triwizard Cup deep within the maze. Only he knows its exact position. Now, as Mr Diggory and Mr Potter..."

Lorraine's heart stopped as she came to the realisation that whatever the death eaters were planning to do was going to be executed that very day. She rose to her feet and hurried down the steps to reach Harry as he waited at his designated entrance. She grabbed his shoulders, causing him to jump in fright.

"L-Lorraine?!" he exclaimed, taking note of her wide eyes and laboured breath.

"You're in trouble, Harry," she rushed out, cupping his face and forcing him to look into her eyes. "Harry you need to forfeit out of this competition--something! You need to stay out of that maze!"

"Lorraine, you're not making any sense." A hand grabbed her shoulder harshly just as a cannon went off and distracted the crowds just long enough for her to be pushed in with Harry. As she fell to the ground, she hurriedly rolled onto her back and caught a glimpse of Madeye Moody staring right back at her before the hedges of the maze grew over the entrance, plunging them into silence. Well, as silent as it could be with Lorraine hyperventilating on the ground.

"L-Lorraine, did he push you?" Harry rushed out, crouching in front of her and holding her shoulders gently.

"We need to leave, we need to leave, we need--" she choked out just before Harry wrapped his arms around her neck, surprising her just enough to bring her back to the present. Her breathing slowed and soon Harry helped her onto her feet.