xvi. imposter

[WORD COUNT: 2019]

[WORD COUNT: 2019]

————

Lorraine had been surrounded by emptiness until the very moment she felt herself resurface from the bottom of the Black Lake. As she coughed and wheezed, Cedric was more than excited to reach the end and celebrate with his friends, and she watched as he swiftly climbed up onto the platform, hugging them and cheering. Her eyes widened at the sight. No one knew that she couldn't swim. She was going to drown if no one came to help her.

"Ced--" she tried to call, but only water was sucked into her mouth and she tried to hack it out of her lungs. Her legs were kicking wildly and her arms were trying to coordinate with each other properly so that she could reach the platform, only it didn't work. She felt herself slowly sinking once more. A silent death, she thought. And then she caught a glimpse of Draco as he slipped off his robe and shoes.

"What are you doing?" Pansy asked Draco as he hurriedly stripped himself of heavy clothing.

"She can't swim," he breathed out before diving into the waters of the Black Lake. He was angry. Angry at so many people. But that could wait. That had to wait.

"Draco!" she choked out, eyes watering as she watched her best friend dive into the waters to save her. To save her. Even after she was an asshole to him ever since their fight, he still chose to dive into the waters for her.

As her head was slowly submerged, she felt arms wind their way around her waist and lift her head out of the water once more. She nearly cried when she saw Draco's face before her, eyes wide with concern.

"Are you okay?" he breathed out, trying his best to keep them both above the water. Lorraine nodded quickly, breaking into tears and wrapping her arms around him for a short hug.

"I'm sorry," she cried, sniffling as she looked at him with the small pout she always used to have when she was younger. He only smiled softly.

"I'm sorry, too, Lorraine. Now, come on. I might be strong, but not that strong." The two shared a quiet laugh before heading to the platform, where Cedric and a few teachers were waiting for them. When she saw the guilt-ridden face of Cedric, she instantly forgave him for giving in to his excitement. He had won, he had every right to be excited. That, and she hadn't told anyone but Draco that she couldn't swim. She just...never expected Draco to be the one to help her.

She supposed that she misjudged him.

"I'm so, so sorry, Lorraine," Cedric said, enveloping her in a hug as soon as she was safely on the platform. She laughed and hugged him back, patting his back gently.

"It's fine!" she said breathlessly. "I had to try to learn to swim somehow."

"You're an idiot, Diggory," Draco snapped quietly, shaking his head to get the water out of his hair. For once, the two boys had an agreement.