xix. goodbyes

[WORD COUNT: 1511]

[WORD COUNT: 1511]

————

"Today, we acknowledge...a really terrible loss," Dumbledore began as every student and teacher gathered in the hall to mourn Cedric's death. Lorraine was sitting between Ron and Draco. Both boys were still treating each other respectfully whenever she was involved. "Cedric Diggory was, as you all know...exceptionally hard-working, infinitely fair-minded and, most importantly, a fierce, fierce friend. Now, I think, therefore, you have the right to know exactly how he died. You see...Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort. The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so, I think, would be an insult to his memory. Now, the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me...and reminds us...that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. In light of recent events, the bonds of friendship we've made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that, and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain. You remember that and we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest...and brave and true, right to the very end."

Lorraine stood with the rest of the students and walked between Ron and Draco as they all poured out of the doors. She couldn't shake the nausea that she felt at how one night could ruin what she truly believed was her entire life. She felt selfish--thinking of all the ways that her life had been ruined when Cedric's own life had been ended and his father's life had truly been permanently changed. But she couldn't stop thinking. She couldn't stop thinking of what her family would think, what Voldemort would plan for her and Draco, what she'd be forced to do in the name of the Dark Lord, and how she'd have to use every single one of her friends to stay alive.

"Miss Winters?" called Dumbledore, causing the girl to freeze and turn around stiffly. She looked like a deer caught in headlights--did he know what she was thinking?

Okay, she thought, that's a bit ridiculous now. Pull yourself together, Lorraine.

"Yes, Professor Dumbledore?" she asked as she walked over to the Headmaster. She gave both Ron and Draco and thumbs up and let a small grin grace her face when she saw the two repeatedly nudge each other when they thought she wasn't looking.

"May I talk to you in my office?" Dumbledore asked gently, placing a hand over her shoulder comfortingly. While hesitant, she nodded and followed the man. It was deadly silent as they walked and Lorraine was convinced that she was the only one making it awkward due to her overthinking.

"What did you want to discuss?" Lorraine asked quietly, fiddling with her fingers as they entered the office. Dumbledore motioned to the seat across from him at his desk and they both sat down.

"I wanted to discuss the night of the third trial."

Lorraine visibly gulped and nodded slowly. "O-Of course, Professor."

"I first want to apologise for your being there in the first place. It was discovered that Professor Moody was in fact Barty Crouch Jr.--an escaped Azkaban prisoner. Everything has been dealt with, but the one thing that we could not uncover was the reason why you were pushed with Harry in the first place. Would you happen to know?"