Growing Pains

A/N

Just a quick little note to start off. This is the point where everything really changes up.

If you remember the plot from the original novel, go ahead and throw it all away. Why? I'll tell you why.

1. Uto's dead. There's no need to make some kind of dramatic scene with Alea.

2. The Attack on Xyrus has been moved up WAY further, AND it's known by the highest ranked students in Xyrus Academy.

3. The Dicatheous has been destroyed and Nico's sure as hell not going with them. Dicathen's got at least five years this time 'round.

I only need three reasons and they're all essential to the original plot.

So from here, we've got plenty of time. BIG training arcs for Kuro and Arthur PLUS, potential ships to build and set sail. Maybe. Who knows.

So until then, enjoy this next chapter.

Arthur Leywin

"Alright class, as usual, practice on your control. Augmenters, train your minds. Conjurers, train your bodies.

But most importantly, train your skills. I want to see what you can do with magic by the end of the year.

Kathyln and Feyrith, continue your practice with the spell absorption technique. You're making good progress. Class dismissed!"

The students trotted outside the classroom doors and gossiped with one another.

Some groaned, wanting more time, a few tried to figure out what they could do to improve, and my fellow DC members waved goodbye.

"Well if it isn't the famous Professor Leywin," a familiar voice rang.

"Do you really have nothing better to do than bother me as you please?"

I turned to Kuro with irritation and sighed.

"What now?"

He raised his arms as if he was caught and dramatized his tone.

"Whateeeever do you mean, professor?? I simply wanted to visit my friend!"

I clicked my tongue and threw a fireball at him, the spell dissipating before it could even touch him.

Hm? Did he just neutralize my spell?

He patted down his uniform and chuckled.

"Wow, you even took off your seal for that. Alright, you got me. I have some news regarding the radical group. Making my way to the DC meeting room. Wanna come?"

My eyes widened and I rushed to his side.

"Hell yeah, I do! This is huge!"

I covered my patrol route with Kuro before heading over to the DC. Figured I could hold him back and ask a few of my own questions.

"So, what was with that spell you used before? Somehow neutralizing a blue flame before it even gets within a foot of you is pretty big.

I thought we couldn't conceptualize such a spell, let alone perform it. Did you like... dominate my spell with your mana or something?"

He cocked his brow in amused confusion with a smile.

"What? No, that was just a parlor trick. It works in the same way you neutralized Lucas' spells the first day of TFM*."