Auction and Chaos

"... you too," I heard her mutter.

"Come on, now. You have to speak up, or he won't be able to hear you." Queen Priscilla nudged her forward.

"It's... nice to meet you... too." She said before promptly retreating back behind her mother.

I smiled and bowed once more. "It's my pleasure, Princess."

"Kathyln. Call me Kathyln." She said from behind her mother.

"On the contrary, Princess, I could never address you by your name. However, maybe I'd be willing to call you Kathyln if it were the name of a powerful mage." My smile grew ever-so-slightly.

Her eyes shone with stars. "Okay. I'll become a strong mage, and you'll call me by my name."

"I certainly hope so, Princess."

She'll be plenty strong in the future, so I won't have to worry about raising her level.

As our interaction came to a close, we heard Sylvie's chirp, as she popped out from under Arthur's robe where she was sleeping, surveying the new faces curiously.

"Kuu?" She chirped, tilting her head.

I heard one of the guards gasp, though I couldn't recognize which one. And then I remembered.

I narrowed my gaze to the man who stood directly behind King Blaine.

Right. Sebastian, the pesky mage who tried to take Sylvie away as a reward. I'll have to keep an eye on him as well as Arthur.

"Oh my! What a cute little mana beast!" Queen Priscilla exclaimed, face visibly brightened at the sight of Arthur's Dragon companion.

The King and his two children also looked in Arthur's direction, next to me.

The guards took a step forward as well, making sure they were close enough to react in case something happened to the Queen.

"She just hatched a few months ago. Her name is Sylvie. Come out and say hello," Arthur responded.

"Kyu~" She immediately hopped out of Arthur's coat and stretched her body like a cat.

"I assume this little mana beast is your bond, young man?" The King came closer, kneeling down to get a better view of Sylvie.

"Yes, Your Majesty," I answered as he wordlessly nodded. "She is indeed Arthur's bond."

"How fortunate you are, to have a mana beast. Even infant ones are not easy to tame, yet she looks to be very obedient."

"Well, we're able to communicate mentally, so it's more like a mutual agreement rather than obedience.," he shrugged.

"What? You mean to say that you are under and Equals Contract?"

We all turned our heads to face the source of the voice. It was indeed the pesky Sebastian. I looked to Arthur, who'd been wondering whether he said something he shouldn't have.

"Um, I'm not sure what that is, but she was the one that initiated the contract, so I think so?" He shrugged, hoping to switch the topic.

"Let me take a closer look at your bond!" the hooded guard exclaimed, creeping closer to us.

I gave him no chances, though. I didn't even give the King time to interfere. I just launched myself toward him before he could even take another step.

"Please do not study Arthur's bond. This is not the time, place, nor do you have the authority to do so. If anything, I'd say that's no less than disrespect, attempting to exceed your limits by doing this.