21

*UNEDITED*

I rush out of my room and scramble into my parent's room in haste. My loud movements wake them right up and they ask the reason for my behavior.

"Abba Mami, Khair is in a fetal position at the hospital, a rib punctured her heart and they haven't gotten hold of any doctor. Even if they do it's not like her father can afford the procedure, please Abba, help me fix this, she's in that position cause of me, I can't sit here and do nothing when my father can help, I know you don't-" "he's going Alina" Mami cuts my rambling short and I sigh in relief at her words. "now go get ready while he freshens up" she instructs and I shake my head.

"I'm good to go" She eyes me up then raised a brow at my attire, "It's either you make yourself presentable or you are not leaving" I let out a long groan as I stomp out of the room to do as told.

I don't waste any time. I just brush my teeth, wash my face, grab a burka to cover my night attire, and fling myself out of the room with my phone in hand.

Thankfully both of them are waiting for me by the time I emerge from the house so we just jump into the car and made our way to the hospital. 

~

It has been two hours since he went in there, two excruciatingly long hours. How long does it take to patch up a punctured heart for goodness sake?

Go in and find out, why don't you...

Oh shut up

An hour and a half later, Abba emerges with tired eyes and tattered hair. "Alhamdulillah, it was worse than what the doctor had first stated but she's out of danger. She's in an induced coma as she needs the rest. For the rest of the night, she will stay in the ICU where no one is to bother her, I'll be back in the morning to check on her then we'll know what else to do. Now if you'd excuse me, I really need to sleep" he starts to walk away but Khair's father stops him.

As he's about to speak Abba beats him to it, "I already know what you're going to ask and you really shouldn't worry about it,  take this as an apology from me on behalf of my daughter"  he says softly and he man embraces my father tightly.  "thank you so much"  he chokes out as he tries to keep himself together.

"Alice, please take me home before I pass out right here," Abba says after pulling himself away from Khair's dad. After a short banter over the name he called her, she took him home to get some well-deserved sleep. 

"Thank you Alina" Dad comes over to me and I shake my head "I caused this, it's the least I could do. You haven't slept, I suggest you do, I'll look after her" I tell him and he nods and then walks away.

With a sigh, I follow the nurse who comes to move Khair from the OR to a room in the ICU. I then take a seat in front of the room since no one is allowed in.

I really hope she gets better.

~

It's 9 AM and my dad is here to check on Khair as stated by him. He came along with a food warmer for me and told me to eat while he goes in and I do. God im hungry.

Shortly after he goes in Khair's dad strolls in looking a lot more refreshed than when he had left. "how is she?"  he asks immediately he comes within hearing range.  "my dad just went in to check on her actually"  he rubs his palm down his face and takes a seat beside me.

I pause my eating, thinking of how to properly apologize for the damage.  "Dad... I'm really sorry I put you through this, pulling you away from work and putting your daughter in such a critical state, I didn't mean for any of this to happen wallah. Afwan" I look down at my feet and after a short while of silence he pats my back briefly. 

"everyone makes mistakes" were his only words and I didn't push for more.

Abba comes out with a nurse pulling a bed with Khair on it, "where to?" I ask and he shrugs, "We'll take her for an X-ray then put her in a recovery room where she can get visitors and wake up from the induced coma, she's doing very well tho"  he informs and we sigh a breath of relief.

Alhamdulillah,

~

"Hi Alina" she smiles weakly at me as I walk in. I proceed to take a seat beside her while her father decides to give us some privacy. "Khair" I hold her hand and she purses her lips "I'm not dying yunno," she says after a while and I cock my head "You might as well have" I inform her "But I didn't" she fires back and I sigh.

"How are you feeling?"  she shrugs at my question "Apart from being weak and knowing I have needles in my arms, I'm fine alhamdulillah" I nod at her and then smile.

"How's Ana?" 

"oh she's fine, very energetic, and on her feet," I tell her n she cocks her head "What about Aryah?"  I suck in a breath then release it. "I don't know, her parents won't let me see her neither will they tell me anything" She nods in understanding then presses the distress button beside her and I frown.

"what's wrong?"  a nurse comes in shortly after a long with Dad and I also look at Khair expectantly. "I would like to go visit a friend of mine please" The nurse comes closer and checks the IV fluid before giving her answer "Let this run out first, and please don't push the button to call me, it's a real scare"

"but-" "Khair, that's enough," Dad says and she slumps back in defeat then he turns to the nurse "Sorry for any trouble" She shakes her head then leaves, "You could've told me, I was sitting right here" I inform her and she grumbled "well you would've said no" she folds her arms and look away while I share a look with her dad.

This girl.

"can I get my phone, I want to talk with Omar for a while,  I know he must be worried sick" Her dad hands her the phone and she dials his number.

"Habibty, what happened with you" his frantic voice is heard even tho the phone isn't on speaker and I take that as my cue to leave and her dad seems to follow my lead.

"I'll go try and check on our friend" I inform him and he nods then I walk away.

I just hope they tell me how she is at least.

Short and simple
May Allah reward you for getting this far. Shukran!!!