16

*UNEDITED*

*Well well well"

I turn around with a glare, "I was just about to start eating Fahima, go away" she puts her hands up but does the exact opposite of what I asked.

I sigh and decide to ignore her while I eat. It proves to be difficult with her eyes boring holes into the side of my head but I successfully pull it off without choking.

"Now you have my full attention, what is it?" I question after I've put down my plate. She squints at me before shocking me by coming closer and pulling me into a hug. "Thank you" she mumbles and I nervously pat her back. "Okayyyy?" This is weird.

I look at Salma with wide eyes but she only giggles at my expense.

"I knew you were a sweet person. Now I just hope this lasts" she pulls away and I cock my head, "okayyyy" she beams before walking off. Weird.

"Me hungry" I turn to Salma and squint at her "you didn't help me when I asked so no food for you" I huff playfully. She immediately starts to get up and make a dash for the kitchen"hey! Get back here" I yell but she only giggles as she runs.

~

"For once in your life, you did good" I squint "Anaya!" I growl but she shrugs "what! You know it's true" she grumbles and I roll my eyes. "I for one am proud of you" I smile at Khairat.

Ayrah was also very encouraging about it, unlike this idiot who goes by the name Anaya.

"By the way, Ayrah said..." "I thought we agreed to not bring up that...name ever again" I squint at Ana but she only rolls her eyes "who is Ayrah?" Khair questions and I grin.

"Well, she is..."

"Right here"

"Ayrah!" I screech and jump into her arms. "You said you'd call me" I pout after I pull away "surprise" she beams and I roll my eyes with a light chuckle.

"Khair, this is Ayrah, I've known her for as long as I've known Ana. Ayrah, this is Khair, the one and only" I introduce, and Ayrah beams at her while Khair gives a small nervous smile as Ayrah crushes her in a hug "nice to finally meet you" she says after pulling away. "Likewise"

"She's shy" I wave with a chuckle and she nods. "I see that," Ayrah says and I grin at Khair.

"Anaya" Ayrah greets but the stubborn child turns to me and growls "Alina, what is she doing here?" I shrug "ask her" was my simple reply "why didn't you tell me she was coming?" She seethes and I roll my eyes and then turn to Khair. "I think you were here when she said, and I quote 'I thought we agreed not to bring that name up ever again' right?" I give a smile while I ask and she slowly nods.

"You're unbelievable" Ana groans and I nod "thank you" I nod with a smile and she glares "that wasn't a compliment" she growls and I nod "I know"

I turn to Ayrah and give her a lasting look. "Fix this" I point at Ana then grab Khair and pull her out of my room.

"So..." Khair shuffles when we don't move from the front of the room and I grin "you didn't think I would let them have the room all to themselves without surveillance did you?" She frowns lightly and shakes her head "privacy is a thing yunno" she says and I roll my eyes. "They're alone aren't they" I state and she squints.

"That's not enough"

"Those two are crazy, they're gonna tear my room to shreds and you're crazy as well if you think I'm just going to walk away and leave them alone in the name of respecting their privacy" she raises a brow but I turn away and place my ear on the door to listen in.

Ana: I don't know who you think you are but-

Ayrah: okay shut up! I am fed up with your petty drama, can we talk like two civilized people? For once

Ana: abeg o

Ayrah: don't start with me Ana

Ana: (sigh) why didn't you call me, I'm over the fact that you didn't tell me about your plans to leave England but why didn't you call

Ayrah: well maybe cause someone blocked my number

Ana: oh... In my defense, I thought you'd at least change numbers. Yunno, new country, new number

Ayrah: that doesn't even make sense

Ana: yes it does

Ayrah: no it doesn't and you know it, Ana, stop making excuses, it was a stupid and childish move on your part. You could've called me like Alina did, confronted me, and you would've known why I did what I did but no, you refused to think that far.

You're always so wise when it comes to giving people advice but when it comes to your own life you make irrational and childish decisions. And since you have a goat head, you never let anyone change it.

(Dead silence follows for a while)

Ana: why did you?

Ayrah: it was an impromptu decision. I applied to loads of universities around the world, some as scholarships. All of them surprisingly we're delaying. I think two or three reached out to me saying id have to start during their second semester. The only one that favored me was the one in Korea, plus it was a scholarship. So my parents wasted no time, they told me to accept it and I did. They sent me the details and I was requested to be on campus ASAP. I couldn't find time to say anything before I was at the airport.

(Silence)

Ana: I'm sorry

Ayrah: I know you are

Ana: you're mean (sniff)

Ayrah: come here you big goof

Awww. So sweet

"You can come in now Lina" Ayrah calls and I grin then open the door. They both roll their eyes at me before outstretching their arm so I can join their hug.

After a while I pull away and look at Kkair, "come here girl, you're part of this" I usher her over and the two other girls do the same with bright smiles to encourage her.

"May Allah bless our friendship" I mumble after Khair had joined us and all mumble "Ameen".

"Alina!"

Ya ilahi

Why now?!

With a sigh, I pull away and give them an apologetic smile.

"Na'am mami!" I yell as I poke my head out of my room door. Obviously, she doesn't answer so I make my way to the living room where I know she has to be. I have to tell Abba to wire the house with an intercom. Or a digital one so the whole house doesn't listen in, since no one seems to use their phones anymore.

She could've just called me and told me but nooooo

She had to yell

God!

Don't you get tired of complaining

And don't you get tired of sticking your nose where it doesn't belong

Bueeh

I roll my eyes and ignore my childish conscience before someone sees me talking to myself and assumes I've lost my marbles.

"Ah, there you are... you have a guest" I frown at her words "all my friends are upstairs tho" I mumble. "Am I not welcome anymore or have you forgotten about me so soon?"

"Ammi!"