Chapter 10: Singers Request

Start from the beginning

"I will, They deserve to see him."

The doctor nodded.

"Tell the little boy he can come in then, after him, his mother can as well."

"Kay."

Zander spoke, leaving the room and doing as instructed. Milo soon came into the room, lifting his head for the first time in hours. He went over to his brother, who laid almost lifelessly on the bed.  Milo was shaken to the core. His eyes were slightly small, but then averted his gaze, looking at Hailey.

"...Who are you? Are you that girl Jake never shuts up about at home?"

"..."

Hailey didn't reply at first, a soft sniffle coming out of her.

"I'm not Daisy..."

Milo rolled his eyes.

"Obviously not, I've met her before. I meant you, Like... Harely-? Uhhh..."

"Hailey."

She corrects him, Milo just... nodding.

"Right... What... Are you to him. I heard you screaming when it happened... especially when the ambulance arrived and surrounded him..."

Hailey froze.

"...What... How did you..."

"...It was us... He.. called mom to come get him from yours... and... I guess he didn't... see us... Mom had to pick me up from my friends house and... I was upset about not getting food and I distracted her..."

Hailey felt a cold pit grow in her stomach, But she took a deep breath. She knew better to get into some kind of fight with a kid. She understood, Shit happens. As a kid, You can't control yourself... But her jake... his brother... was hurt because of... She shook her head.

"...I...I don't know what to say about that. I'm... I just need to be here right now."

Milo looked away.

"So I guess he moved on... You're his girlfriend, I'm assuming anyway..."

Milo would normally tease them, but... clearly this wasn't the time, and he didn't feel charismatic enough to do so.

"I am."

She replied, and Milo nodded.

"...It's... nice to meet you then..."

Milo said, then turned away

"I...I'm gonna let mom come in now... if your mad at us... please dont blame her... just take it out on me..."

Hailey blinked.

"I can't blow up on you... Your like... 10 years old..."

"...I'm 12-"

"Same thing."

She replied.

"Please just... don't... she just had stopped crying..."

Hailey looked at Jake, then nodded..

"I know..."

She replied, Sighing deeply as Milo left the room. She took another look at him. He was in a hospital gown instead of his own clothes. Bandages around his hands, legs, and the back of his head.. The only recognizable part of him was his face. slightly scratched up, and that self sustaining peach hair type. She held his hand gently, but noticed his body tense. She let go, and then carefully looked at him... Something felt like it was... calling. She looked around, then carefully peels the bandages on his arm... But in a way so she could reapply them without time needed. She used her free hand to cover her mouth, and then reapplied the bandage.

Me and him have to talk later...

She thought, and just then, Jake's mother walked into the room. The air got really tense, and cold. But Hailey remained silent as she walked in, Slowly, She reached her son, and looked at him laying there so helplessly... Defenseless... And it was her own fault. She's set her son in a position where she doubted he could even hear her. She looked over to Hailey, who was avoiding eye contact.

"Milo... must have told you that this was... my fault..."

She tried to sound composed, But even Hailey faltered when she heard the broken held back sobs in her voice.

"...Things happen Mrs. Sterling...Atleast hes alive..."

Hailey tried to be empathetic, but it came out more harsh than she wanted. She hated seeing Jake like this, she hated being in the same room as the person who caused this. But it really couldn't be helped. She knew better than to scream at her for this. As she said, Things happen.

"...I'm so very sorry... I wish I could scream this to him... I wish I could have taken his place..."

She spoke, Placing a hand above her heart as she choked for a second, steadying her breathe.

"...Are you... His girlfriend? I see the way you've... been looking at him... and... back on the road when the...paramedics arrived..."

Hailey looked away, moving her hand to hold Jake's, gentle as can be. His body relaxed a bit this time.

"I am... My names Hailey, Hailey-"

"Austin... I know you're mother..."

Hailey nodded, Then just sat silently.

This was gonna be a very. Very. Long day, possibly even week.