A Broken Bond (80)

Start from the beginning

The tub was filled with steamy water as I had requested. Rosemary decorated the floors and bath water.

"This is perfect," I praised. Alpha Nommi smiled.

This reminded me of Margret, when she was all, I had to rely on for magic. Now I was preforming a full ritual all by myself. Thinking of Margret made me sad a little. I hoped she was ok. I'm sure they kept her alive. Although she was one of the purple pack's healers, she was very talented, and it would simply be a waste to kill her. I just hoped the enemy realized that too.

Alpha Nommi shut the door and I was alone. Part of me felt nervous. I had just got my magic back and was already going to perform a high-level ritual. It was one of the ones I had read in the books back at Ares cave. I was thankful for my witch memory.

I got into the tub, my clothes still on. The steam stuck to my body and made me wet where water hadn't even touched.

Swirled my hand in the pool of water, watching as the orange light from the candles and rosemary swirled. I spoke the spell, repeating it over as if I hadn't learned any other words besides it.

A spike of cold shot up my body and I felt cold, dry hands push the back of my neck down until my head was underwater. I gasped and held my breath as I went under, trying not to scream from fear.

I didn't have to hold my breath for long. As soon as my head went under, it felt like I did a whole circle, and it came back up the other way. I was drenched in water and still sat in the tub, but I was no longer in the bathroom.

My breathing picked up as I looked around the black void surrounding me. There was movement in front of me. I could see the silhouette of a tall woman slowly walking past the tub. I move backwards and away, covering my mouth as I whimpered into it.

I couldn't see the woman, though. I could just see her black veil and long dress as she walked past. I watched her. She slowly walked like her joints were made from rust. The candles lit up the dark fabrics of her dress, and once she passed them, they went out leaving nothing but smoke behind. One by one, the darkness grew blinding. I could not calm the speed of my heart.

I had never been more still, my body turning into a hard stone. I couldn't even see the tub I was in. The was another spike of cold that shot up from my spine and I closed my eyes to wince. When I opened them, a scene appeared—a horrifying one.

It was still dark, but it was much more visible now. A black, misty fog cleared to reveal a small window into a dimly lit room. Noah and Ryan were restrained onto these giant metal tables that stood them up at an angle.

Worst of all were the two women sitting in the middle of them. Tisha and Daniela. I took a quick breath in, and I ducked down slightly into the tub. I just barely peaked above the rim to see what was happening.

This spell was a one-way window, they couldn't see me, but I still wanted to hide. I hadn't expected it to be so scary to see them.

Daniela had a syringe in her hand filled with some sort of dark metallic liquid. She held it up to the dim candle lights before she smiled.

"I've perfected it now," Daniela stood up straight and turned back to Tisha, "At least I hope so. I don't care what you do with them, just make sure to at least test it out and report back to me the side effects."

She handed Tisha the syringe who was smiling so widely. Tisha didn't look any different. She still dressed up luxuriously as if she were made of endless money. Not a single flaw was in her appearance.

Daniela walked away into the misty black smoke. I couldn't see past it, but it's because I wasn't meant to. The spell had its limits.

Ryan and Noah looked beaten up, especially Noah. He had a big puffy black eye, and dried blood still over his mouth. Ryan looked hysterical as he tried to pull on the leather straps keeping him in place.