The Kitchens on Fire (50)

ALEC POV
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ethan had been gone for so long now. I didn't get the same feeling I did when he was taken by vampires—that's how I knew he went by choice.

Irene had disappeared into thin air, only causing more stress for us. Although I do not care for Irene, it was awful that she was gone. Who knew if she was plotting to come back and terrorize us for what we had done to her?

There were meetings every other day about the situations going on. I had forgotten about my birthday until it passed.

Riley was the only one to wish me happy birthday, I was surprised she even remembered it.

We got the hex removed, thankfully Riley remembered the books Irene had been reading and we disposed of it with fire.

There had been no citing's of Leah or the vampires. Also, the blue pack stayed awfully quiet. We trained preparing for a war we weren't sure was to come.

Lonni was at her lowest, but she was trying—that's what was important. Leo, well Leo's Leo. Angry and aggressive—not even I could get through to him.

I currently sat in Margrets cottage, she cleaned my busted lip and the cut on my eyebrow.

"That boy! I knew him when he was a child, how dare he do this to you! I ought to go over there and whoop him!" Margret complained as she fixed me up.

"No, it's my fault. I know he has a temper, and I still went to him." I scoffed.

It's not that Leo and I had known each other since birth, in fact we were a whole seventeen years apart, but he had been like my older brother. I followed his lead all these years and now I didn't know what to do.

"You do far too much to please him! He does not deserve your kindness!" Margret continued. She was right but I've known him since birth, how could I abandon him when he needs me?

Margret paused for a moment. She looked hesitant but she decided to speak, "No sign of Ethan?"

I shook my head. "I can't believe he'd just run away! He's so selfish! He knows we have far too much going on to be worried about him,"

Margret gave me a look as if she had something to say but she decided against it.

"What?" I asked with furrowed eyebrows.

"He's your mate, Alec, shouldn't you be a little more worried about him?" Margret said and I scoffed.

"No! He's the one who decided to run away." I rolled my eyes.

Margret took a deep breath in, "Dear lord forgive me." She prayed.

I looked at her confused, but her palm smacked me against my cheek. I stood up out of shock.

"You listen here, boy! That young man has been nothing but kind to you and everyone in this pack! I know he has caused some trouble but that does not give you the right to be an asshole to him, understood?" She scolded me. I looked at her puzzled.

"He's far too young to be my mate!"

"For Christ's sake, Alec! No one is asking you to have sex with the boy! I ask of you to be his friend! I know many platonic mates out there! You accepted him as your mate now start treating him like one!" Margret scolded me. I opened my mouth to speak but she snapped at me, "Shush! Not a word! Now I want you to leave my cottage, not moping and complaining about how absolutely 'terrible' Ethan is and how messed up your life is and start taking care of the pack that is desperate for your help!" Margret said. Her finger pointed at the door.