A Lost Memory (19)

ETHANS POV
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I was somewhere cold. I was comfortable, my muscles felt relaxed, my mind felt cleared, I felt calm. I hadn't felt calm in a while—it was so nice and so needed.

I was in water.

Perhaps a small stream, not deep at all. I felt fingers scrubbing through my hair. I was small and many years younger.

I opened my eyes. It was Nala. She was over me with a wide smile. Her skin as pale as mine, her hair the same color even. I definitely had her smile.

I didn't speak the words I wished to speak; it was as if I was watching a movie. It felt like Deja vu.

"Now you're all clean," she affirmed, her voice bubblier than the one I always met at the happy place.

"Thank you, Mama," I heard my cheery voice say back. I was definitely young.

She stood up and my body sat up. I realized what she was wearing. It had not been the same modern clothes we wore, no, it was just a long—or maybe multiple, pieces of cloth draped around her body hiding her breasts and around her waist almost like a skirt.

She wrapped the multiple pieces of cloth around me, hanging from my body. One over my shoulder, another between my legs and wrapped around my waist like a diaper. She picked me up, not afraid to wet her own clothes, and carried me.

The scenery was beautiful. There were tall willow trees and cherry trees. It was odd to see them together, but nonetheless it was beautiful. There were big fields of grass and just past them was a huge forest.

We walked further until a village came into view. It was made from bamboo, wood, hay and leaves, stained glass, and other various things. Some houses even had cherry tree blossoms or other various kinds of flowers woven into the rooftops.

One thing I noticed was everyone wore the same clothes. The men wore similar to mine except they let the piece around their waist hang and had shorts underneath. The toddlers and kids were just like mine. The women were just like my mothers, some in various colors with all different kinds of patterns.

I also did not see any white people amongst the pack. They were either black or Asian. There were many mixed kids amongst the village as well.

Throughout the day, Nala did various things such as harvest food from the garden hidden deep within the woods. The woods were beautiful—full of life and surrounded by guards who looked ever so friendly. They didn't hesitate to hold me while my mother was not around.

There were many names the people throughout the pack would call Nala, but my favorite had to be "the one whose skin was kissed by the moon". That was the full meaning but to shorten it they called her "Omoalba".

"Nala!" A woman called my mother's name. She was Asian, her eyes slanted and small. She had mono eyelids that hid her eyelashes. Her lips were small and thin, but her mouth was wide. She also had very big teeth. Most werewolves had very sharp teeth, but her canines were the sharpest I had ever seen.

"Yes, Xiuying?" My mother asked. She had not been speaking English, yet I understood. It had not been a language I've ever heard of or recognized. It was probably native to the pack; it was common for packs to have their very own languages. I could understand the language though I couldn't imagine myself speaking it.

"Abeni is looking for you," Xiuying informed as she gestured behind her, telling my mother to follow.

Nala followed Xiuying down a path to a dock near the ocean. The dock leads out to a small pavilion.