Chapter 46 - You Look Lonely

You're under arrest.

Under arrest.

"Under..." The room starts to spin. Floors sway. My chest snatches my breath. "Under arrest?"

This isn't real, it can't be. Yes I spent my life watching my Papa hurt others, but I never laid a hand on anyone. I would never.

I don't know why my glance flickers sideways to Pietro but the look in his eye brings instant tears to my eyes. "But I didn't do anything!"

The officer doesn't react. It's like he's seen this countless times, heard those words countless times until he's become immune to the truth.

"I'm now going to inform you of your rights. You have the right to remain silent, anything you say and do can be used against you in the court of law....."

His words trail off into echoes and white noise.

All I feel is my head, searing with the sounds of the clanking pots coming from the kitchen, and the tapping of Pietro's shoe against the floor.

My heels shake. Colours fade. And just when my body almost collapses, Bianca runs in and all my attention, all my hope is thrown onto her..

The hope in my makes me rush up to her and grab her hands. "Bianca tell them this is wrong. I'm innocent, right?" A cold tear rolls down my cheek. "I'm innocent."

Her eyes, glossed with something that looks a lot like disappointment stay on mine. I look back at Pietro, who's standing there with his hands clasped on his big belly. Eyes upturned with amusement as if all of this is funny. "Don't look at me, ask your husband."

"Silas didn't do this! You did. You just couldn't stand the fact that he married me and not the woman of your choice!"

"I heard Silas talking on the phone alone in the living room." Bianca starts rather quickly. "He stopped talking when I came in and when I asked him who he was talking to, he just said the cops."

"No. He might have the FBI on his trail but he told me he'd handle them."

"Yeah...he did, using you." She steps forward, and though there's an emotionless mask on her face I can tell its a facade from the look her eyes as she pulls out a piece of paper.

She unfolds it, faces it my way and it takes me a long second of focusing on the letters before realising that it's mine and Silas's contract.

Not our marriage contract, but the one stating I'd get my money at the end of the year.

"You gold digging whore. I was right wasn't I?" She lowers the paper. "You did marry my brother for money."

"Bianca-"

"I should have known something was off, my brother would never the type of woman like you. God-The entire time this marriage wasn't real, you two had everyone fooled, and you really thought you were getting away with it but guess what Catalina? You married the most corrupt, heartless man in the Cavallaro family." She points at a section on the paper. "This is just punishment for your stupidity."

Punishment?

My eyes freeze on the words she points at until tears wobble the writing and distort it. There are a lot of things written, lots of terms and conditions I hadn't read because they made no sense to me, until now.