Chapter 17 - Belong

The next morning...

As I creep downstairs, I pray Pietro isn't awake but thankfully everyone is asleep...except Silas. That man just doesn't give work a break.

The marble floor is so cold against my feet, I clench my teeth while tiptoeing to the living room. This morning I woke up and realised I lost my phone, so here I am, except I don't think I've woken up properly.

Because a huge wail sounds.

Before I can react, Bianca walks out the living room crying like a whale. Face covered in mascara. Blonde hair matted. She's even wearing my dress from last night, except its torn.

My eyes grow wide. I feel like I'm standing next to a ticking time bomb.

"Its useless!" She yells, stomping her foot before running away.

I try looking for her, but she's gone, or so I think before another cry comes from above. "Say goodbye to Silas for me for will you!?" She heaves. "I'm killing myself."

"Oh my-"

Trying to see how the hell she got on the edge of the Roman statue forty feet in the air, I gasp and pace around. "We can talk about this! Will you just tell me whats wrong?"

"Theres this guy I've been seeing who works for Silas." She pulls her knees to her chest. "He fell behind on a debt he owed my brother and...now he-he's going to kill him."

I pause.

"And don't tell me he won't! Silas already marked the day he'll come to kill him on his arm saying he was too busy to do it now."

"We'll work this out, just come down."

"No!"

"Come on Bianca what will it take for you to come down?"

Peeling away a piece of hair clinging to her wet face, she peers down at me with shiny eyes. "I need this file..."

Oh. No.

"It-it holds some info my boyfriend can use against Silas if he tries to kill him."

I gulp. Bianca has known Silas her whole life, is she that oblivious to think anyone could go up against him and live?

"That's risky."

Her face drops onto her knees. She lets out one long cry and I bare my teeth. The whole of New York can hear her.

"Fine! I'll do it."

"You will?"

I take a second to hesitate. Chewing on my lip, I shake my head and if she was never crying she climbs off, using half a marble pillar against the wall to slide down like a freaking fireman's pole. She then runs down the stairs and grabs my shoulders.

"Ask him now, he's here." Bianca tilts me towards the staircase where Silas comes down, completely unassuming of us until he sees us on his last steps.

His eyes dart between me and Bianca, who's already gone.

"Where are you going?" I ask, and as he comes down the last steps he runs his eyes over me. When he meets my gaze and realises I'm being serious, his brows furrow.

"Work?" He says dryly.

"Can...can I go?"

Suddenly I can't swallow. With how the corner of his lips almost turn up, I feel like he already knows everything.

He steps closer and my feet plant onto the floor. He smells so good, my chest flutters and I can't believe myself. I ball my clammy hands and try to keep my eyes on his, he doesn't intimidate me.