Chapter 9 - Be Quiet and Drive

All I've known these past few days are grey walls.

A bedroom made for a man has no purpose other than to swallow me whole, and I let it. Reliving the same day over and over again, I'm practically part of the plaster I stare at for hours.

I'm dead. Lying lifeless in a pitch black room when Silas returns from work, walks up to my bedside before switching the lamp on. I hide my face under the covers, but he tears them away and narrows his eyes.

"We have a dinner to go to in a few days as a couple. Go shopping and buy an outfit, I'll give you my card."

"Fine." I mutter, snatching the covers from his fist. A calculating look examines me with dark eyes. Either he can't be bothered with my mood or he's just too exhausted to care, and I'm guessing its the latter.

His hair is ruffled, his shirt buttons are already undone, and I'm trying not to care when he lazily takes in the straps of my baby blue, silky camisole.

Warmth pools in my cheeks and I cling tighter onto the sheets. He's probably wondering why I'm wearing something that looks like lingerie.

My chin tips down and some form of amusement lights his usually empty eyes. Silas runs a hand through his fluffy hair and steps back like he's trying to stop himself from saying anything.

After he does his usual night routine, the mattress shifts under his weight. Silas's routine is simple. It's the exact same every night, I mean he comes back home, removes his tie, washes up and changes in the bathroom before collapsing onto the bed like the man he is.

He never talks. Never mentions anything about his day or asks me if I've eaten like he did before. It amazes me how he can repeat the same thing without going crazy.

Suddenly he yanks the covers towards him and the cold air bursts my bubble of thoughts. Great.

He just ruined the gap in the perfect cave I made myself. I pull the blanket back and when he doesn't react I think I've won but then, with one blink the entire blanket is ripped from me.

"Can you not?" I grit out, curling into a ball and looking over my shoulder at him. He's laying facing me and in the light of my bedside lamp, his eyes are so apathetic it makes me angrier. "For a man like you, you're real immature."

"A man like me?"

I grab the blanket, holding it so tight I'm sure he can't take it, but I'm wrong. His eyes narrow and when he retaliates I roll towards him in a way that makes me gasp.

I'm right in front of his body. Wrapped in the sheets like a burrito, with my face so close to his I can smell the same cologne he wore today.

"Mundane." I retort, and his fist tightens on the sheets only pulling me closer to him. "I envy the version of me that never met you."

"The version that jumped at every sound like a little mouse."

"You didn't know me. You don't know me."

Unbothered, Silas turns his body away from me. "I know you're a facade."

"You're the facade."

"We're a lot more alike than you think."

"I'm nothing like you. You're a calculated manipulator destined for doom and I'm the helpless prey."

"Prey? Baby you willingly walked into this trap. Who marries a man they only know for a week?"

My jaw clenches. "Lots of people."

"Let me know when you can name them."

A sound of frustration leaves me. "I hate you!"