Chapter 23 - Arrest Me

*Includes chapter recap*

I finally pull my sweatshirt over my head, but Silas takes his time pulling his eyes off me. My pulse pounding in my ears, I watch him slide his hands into his pockets.

"Don't think of me as a fallen angel Catalina. I'm nothing like it."

Before I can reply, Silas steps closer. Watching me like he wants to mark my skin with his gaze. It feels raw, unkind, yet something about it is gentle. 

It sounds ridiculous.

"Women think they can change me...." He starts. "Even my mother tried before she ended up at the bottom of the Pacific."

My palms gather trying to control the clenching of my heart. I don't have to give in, I can easily walk away - but he's just so tall, hard and tormented.

And I'm trying to hate him for it but I'm weak. My eyes drop to his hands, and then to the ground. What the hell is wrong with?

"Catalina." My name hits me like a rough echo, his fingers tilting my face to meet warm, mischievous eyes. "I'm warning you. I won't change."

It takes me a minute to process his deep words. I'm too distracted by the shiver of satisfaction breaking over my skin with the brush of his thumb against my
jaw.

This man really knows how to control someone with just his fingers. I hate him.

"You're a strong believer in not changing for other people."

"And you're a strong believer in the opposite."

In an action too sudden, my face inches close to his.
"You need to be humbled." I say slowly, Devilry gleaming in his eyes and daring me to come closer. Being in his face brings more thrill to me than I ever thought, especially when his eyes darken.

"Do it."

Tension grows loud around my ears.

Chests heaving. Pulse breaking. The door flies open. "I'm heading to the club, I need to get laid." Renzo stops and darts his eyes between me and Silas, before we casually separate.

"There's a club here?" I ask, brushing my fingers against the side of my neck. Its so hot, somebody must have lit a fire.

Renzo pulls out his earphone and stares at me like I'm an idiot.

"The city is fifteen minutes from here, Catalina." He scoffs, spinning on his heels before he's gone. I glance at Silas, this time with a much weaker pulse but he's already on his way to the door.

Before walking out, he slows and looks over his shoulder. The fire in his eyes is gone, replaced by a hollow look of indifference. "There are five guards around the lodge. Call me if something goes wrong."

So he's going too? I cross my arms, even more irritated now. "I don't have your number."

"Check again."

I don't have time to respond to him before he walks out. Wait, he went into my phone?

I plop onto the edge of the bed, sliding my shoes against the wooden floor. This is so unfair. He could leave and sleep with whoever he wants but I'm locked in here?