Chapter 24 - She Knows

~Catalina~

I hope I'm not late.

Closing the door of the lodge, I shuffle on my heels down the wooden stairs of the porch. A magical scene invites me outside, of a patchy forest, six inches of sparkly snow, and a black suv parked in front of the lodge.

Silas's gaze finds mine through the falling snow. Right now, he's the complete opposite of the winter wonderland around him.

Charcoal suit and tie. Eyes darker than the night. A cigarette hanging loosely between fingers I can't tell are just tattooed, or are bruised too.

He might think he belongs in the darkness. Behind walls of metal and tendrils of smoke. But standing here in the light, he's never looked more beautifully twisted.

Almost grimacing, I ask myself who's side I'm on. I try not to trip over my heels and head towards him, eying his stupid cigarette. I really hate his smoking habit. Papa's teeth are yellow now.

He must have sensed my agitation because when I stop near him, he smirks a little and offers me the cigarette. I just have to stare at him like he's insane. Is he serious?

"No." I say and he pulls back, slipping it between his lips and pulling my side of the car door open. Seeing this, my body relaxes a little. "Is that...a gentleman I see?"

"Nowhere near it. Sit your ass inside before I push you."

My mouth opens to speak before he pushes my shoulder and I stumble into my seat. "Are you demented?"

"Very." He says smugly and shuts the door. I'm seeing Leone tonight right?

———

The annoyance in Silas's eyes intensify the more they run over my legs. "Where's your jacket."

"Don't worry, you don't have to give me yours." I declare snakily, but as we start walking, the irritation is gone and I'm left with thick tension around me.

He looks like everything that could destroy me. His hair neatly combed. Sleek confidence in the way he moves, but not too much. Enough to let a person know he's full of himself, yet still draw them in without an ick.

"So this dinner..." My shoulders stiffen with the cold. "Is there anything I should know before?"

He guides me towards the elevator at the side of the underground parking lot. It's so cold and wet down here, I regrettably feel like pressing myself against him.

Moscow is beautiful. The streets are clean, the city is huge, but the people here scare me. The two bodyguards at the entrance of the parking garage looked like they were sent from space. Bald, with black sunglasses, only giving a nod as Silas said one word to them. "Cavallaro."

I can only wonder what big criminals we're about to meet that are powerful enough to invite Silas to their home. The thought makes me want to cling onto his jacket.

"Just stay close to me." His low voice pulls me out of my thoughts. "Don't go anywhere alone, and don't converse with the people there." He clicks the elevator button. "They're not good."

"And you are?"

He ignores me. "After dinner, the women and men separate. Stay in the woman's room, I'll get you after I'm done."

DeceptionOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara