Chapter 12 - Habits

~Catalina POV~

I haven't said a word to him since last night.

I can't breathe with all the tension in the air, or with this new anger inside of me I never had before. I spend a little too much time in the bathroom and once I'm out, I walk into an atmosphere so tangible, I can lift a hand and feel it against my fingertips.

A tipsy woman at the dinner was trying to get in Silas's pants. It was the reason I distracted myself with the fish tank, because I couldn't handle the disrespect I felt, and still do.

Silas pushed her off him professionally, and at first I felt relieved, but it disappeared within a second. His gentleman facade isn't real, I of all people know that.

Silas isn't type to reject a beautiful red lipped woman throwing herself onto him, he's the kind of man to take advantage of it, and though I don't understand it...it feels like a slap to the face.

I know he sleeps around behind closed doors, he was just trying to keep his respect in front of people today. How did I end up here?

I grew up watching my parents separate because of my fathers infidelity, knowing I'd leave too if I were with a man who wasn't loyal.

I know now that I don't have that choice.

Silas's lies on his back, his thin blue t-shirt failing to conceal his muscles. A breath pulls into my lungs. Stays there, until I settle on top of the covers.

I can't see him in the dark, yet I feel eyes face me. I fold my arms over my legs and pretend to ignore the lingering warmth of his stare. "Robert Martini." He starts, and I look his way. "He makes the best ballet shoes in the city. He's coming over tomorrow to make yours."

"Fine." I tell him, the hole in my chest making my voice sound like a mere whisper.

I can't leave. But...I can stay.

"I'll do it." I blurt, and pause for a few long moments. "I'll play along in your plan to get revenge on Leone, though I don't know what he's done to you to deserve it."

"You don't have a choice."

The silhouette of the door catches my eye. "I can tell everyone that you tricked me into a marriage that's a lie."

"And then what, you think someone will rescue you? Nobody is stupid enough to involve themselves in my business, chiaro di luna."

"Leone will find out, and what kind of revenge is it if he knows you're divorcing me in a year?"

I can't tell what's going through his mind as he stares at me, black, calculating eyes through a little moonlight. "You don't get to make negotiations."

I fidget with the purple bracelet on my wrist. Until he gives in, I'm not talking to him.

Time passes, and I hear him tightly sigh.

"What do you want, then. More money?"

"I want rules." When he waits for me to continue, I start. "You can't be in relationships with other women. I'm not going to make a fool out of myself staying with a man who cheats on me behind my back. And, I'll need written confirmation that you'll give me fifty million after our divorce."