"Chapter «23» ♡"

“Dream, do you understand what the last stage of hybrid courting is?”

The two had been moving around each other in Techno’s kitchen early in the morning when Techno suddenly stopped, asking the question. He realized that since Dream was still learning about his heritage he may not be fully knowledgeable about the last part of the courting process. Most people knew that hybrid courting involved an exchange of gifts but very few knew the exact details, especially if they weren’t hybrids themselves or weren’t raised around hybrids like Dream had been. So far Techno had sat Dream down and explained each stage but hadn’t explained the last part yet.

After gifting his mate his new golden horns, Dream had disappeared for a few days before returning with beautiful, handcrafted gold cufflinks. He had seemed a bit embarrassed, explaining that they weren’t anywhere as big of a gift as the horns had been, but he had been working on them for a while and just finished them. Techno absolutely loved them, showering his mate in kisses.

That was a few days ago and officially they should be moving into the final stage before the traditional ceremony that would shift their relationship from simply courting to fully mated in the eyes of both the law and the gods.

At Dream’s sheepish look, Techno knew that they would need to have a talk about it. “Would you like me to explain it now or later in the week?”

Dream didn’t even need to think about it, “Now, I don’t want to wait all week” The two quickly refilled their mugs, one of tea and one of coffee, before making their way to the couch.

“Okay, it’s very simple. The traditional final stage of hybrid courting is creating the rings. Hybrids don’t really do the whole engagement ring thing, that’s really what all the gifts and jewelry is for, so instead those involved in the courting will each create a ring for their partner and when both are done they will present it to the one it was made for. The intended recipient will take the ring and should they like it, present their ring and the process repeats. Once all parties have been presented a ring and approve of it then the ring goes back to the creator and the courting couple will hold an official mating ceremony, basically a wedding where the rings are exchanged properly. Does that make sense my love?”

Dream takes a moment to process all of the information he was just told, “Okay, let me make sure I have this right. I make you a ring, when it’s done I present it to you, if you like it you’ll approve of it and I’ll take it back, then we’ll have a wedding and exchange the rings?”

Techno nodded, “Yes, exactly. And I’ll do the same”

Dream nodded along, thinking of any possible questions he could ask as he sipped at his tea. “What if you don’t accept it? Do we break up?”

Maybe Techno didn’t explain that part as well as he could have, “No, of course not my love. It’s very uncommon for people to break up at such a late stage of courting. The whole accepting or rejecting concept for the rings is simply whether they like the design. Hybrid mating rings are something that people typically wear 24/7 after their ceremony so it’s really just a matter of liking the design. It’s no different from going to pick out rings together. If, for example, I make you a ring and present it but I use a gem you don’t like or there is a design you would prefer then you can tell me and I will go back and either edit the ring I’ve already made or remake the ring completely. Many couples will also sit down together before they begin making the rings to talk over what the other has in mind, their likes and dislikes, to help avoid having to remake the rings too many times.”

That helps soothe Dream’s mind quite a bit. It makes sense that you would want your partner to love the ring that they will be wearing for the rest of their lives. He nods as he continues sipping his tea. “When do you want to discuss designs then my love?”