44

listen to breathe me by sia while reading this chapter k

|| JJ ||

I wake up to a persistent stinging in my back. I sit up, and it feels slightly better than it did when I was laying down.

I get out of Jack's tight grip slowly and make my way to my mirror. I turn around only to see giant, red lines and crescent marks on my back.

I groan, rolling my eyes, and walk downstairs.

I see a note from my mom on the fridge, telling my she's gonna be at the hospital to work an extra morning shift and that I can make breakfast and lunch for me and Jack.

I go the fridge and get bacon and eggs. Once I get the bacon frying, I turn around and lean against the counter, only to wince yet again at the pain in my back.

"Chef Johnson!"

I laugh, turning around to be greeted by my loving boyfriend. He smiles and kisses me. "Good morning," He says.

"Good morning," I respond, flipping the bacon.

"You okay? I mean, I saw your back..." He says, concern laced in his voice.

"Eh, you know what they say," I say, a smirk forming on my lips "No pain, no gain. Plus you must be in pain to, unless I didn't do my job right."

He chuckles. "No, no, you did a pretty damn good job, considering I could barley get out of bed without dying. Do you want me to fry the eggs?"

"Would you?" I ask. I take the bacon off the pan and put more on.

He simply nods, moving next to me and starting the stove.

"When we're married, I want it to be like this too," He says, "Us cooking side by side. I like it."

My eyes widen. "Y-You think we're gonna get married?"

"Of course..." He says, giving me a skeptical look. "Why, do you not think we should?"

"Of course not! I just... never thought about us like, going to that point," I say.

"So, you don't think we have a future, together," He says, and I can tell he's starting to get mad.

"No," I say, calmly but firmly, "I never said that. I said, I never thought about it. Don't put words into my mouth, Jack."

"Be honest," He says, putting two eggs onto a plate. "Do you think that we have a future together? Like raising a family?"

I sigh, turning of the stove. "Jack, I don't want to talk about any of this right now."

He slams his spatula onto the counter, causing me to flinch. "Well, I want to talk about this!"

I sigh, and try to talk quietly and calmly. "Well, I don't, babe."

"Answer my fucking question!" He screams.

"Calm down," I say, reaching out to touch his arm.

He shoves my hand away. "Jack please just answer my question."

I close my eyes, then open them again. "Jack, this is really hard for me to talk about," I say, my voice breaking already. "Do you really think that after four or more years we can just meet up and continue where we left off? I love you, but that's impossible! Think about it this way. Four whole years. There's no way one of us isn't gonna end up being with someone else. And that's okay. Because in the end, all we are is high school sweethearts, Jack."

He shakes his head. "That's where your wrong. All we are, are two people who are madly in love and would never do anything to hurt each other."

"You can be so stupid sometimes," I say, finally starting to cry.

"Oh, so now I'm stupid because I have hope?! Is that stupid, Jack, to have hope?! To have a tiny shred of hope that we might be fine?! If it is, then fuck you!" He yells, shoving me and walking away.

He runs up the stairs, and I stand there.

And I just cry. I slam my head onto the counter top and cry my heart out.

He runs back down wearing a shirt and sweatpants, and with his duffel bag with all his stuff in it.

"Jack, please," I cry, running towards him.

He looks at me for a second, 2alks outside. I follow him.

"Jack, I'm sorry!" I say, my voice cracking at the end of my sentence.

He just stands there and cries.

I walk closer to him and take his hand. "I'm sorry."

"I am too," He says, letting go of my hand.

"We still have time, Jack, I don't want us to end just yet," I tell him, as he walks away.

"Three weeks doesn't make a difference," He says coldly.

"It does, we have that amusement park... and the promise ring...and we have each other for three whole weeks," I say. "And I don't want everything to end like this."

"This is what you want, right?" He says. "For us to break up? Why not now?"

"Jack, I don't want that!" I scream. "I love you, why would I want that?!"

He just shakes his head and goes away from me again.

I run after him, not caring that I'm in nothing but boxers.

I get a grip of his shirt and pull him towards me.

"Will you just leave me the fuck alone?!" He looks at me, screaming and with tears falling down his face.

"No," I say quietly.

"You called me stupid for having hopes about us, Jack," He says.

"No, I just didn't want you to have high hopes and then for it all to just come crashing down..." I say. "I don't want you to get hurt."

"Exactly, which is why I'm not going to have you go and leave me to grieve" He says. "Which is why I'm doing this."

"Stop, please stop," I say, resting my head on his arm.

He pushes me off gently. "I'm done."

"No, Jack, you're overreacting," I cry.

"I said, I'm done," He repeats.

"Jack, don't," I cry.

He suddenly presses his lips against mine, making me gasp. I relax and wrap my arms around his neck, and the next second he pulls away.

"Bye, Jack," He says.

"No, no, no, Jack you can't do this! Just talk to me..."

"Bye," He repeats. He leaves before I can say anything else.

Leaving me to fall onto my knees and cry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sorry if this chapter made no sense :/ is it bad that I'm rly excited to end this book once and for all because I don't like it cause its terrible

anyway i have -5 excuses for the lack of updates tbh. I was all like yay summer I'll update but I'm still v busy. hopefully i can try to update more often, ily

if you hate me now i don't blame you

but aye did you get your fruit baskets yet