Chapter 39: Captivity

At the end of the merge, a few things occurred directly afterward. Russell and Tommy were 'released' and free to roam about the village. Kallum was somewhat sympathetic toward the entire situation, having learned about what happened to the Capital City... to his people, he figured that having to endure the hell of the monsters, poachers, and the death of everyone was punishment enough for them, Russell's kit was promptly returned. But anything that would aid him in escaping was confiscated. He would not be leaving anytime soon. Kallum would not let him go, even if he found a way off the island. Kallum decided it was better for both Tommy and his brother to live out the rest of their lives on the island's safety because, as far as they were concerned, they were all that was left of the Omeocoon, so they had to stay close to each other. Tommy told Kallum that he needed time to process before officially becoming part of the tribe. But that was a lie. He actually needed time to find a way out because he was still determined to find who was responsible for the bombings. Russell and Tommy would stay in the main house despite Russell's painful memories.

The main advantage of living in the house was that Tommy and Russell could talk privately. "Is this really your stuff?" Tommy inquired as he looked around the room. He seemed to be surprised that Russell had any personal items at all. He usually traveled light. Everything seemed exactly as Russell remembered it. There was no bed. Instead, there was a bucket for him to rest in, a rather posh one as far as buckets go, made of plated gold and lined with rubies. It was very pretty looking. Other than that, it was pretty average for a bedroom. Candles on each corner of the room were lit because it was nighttime. The village had no windows. That was the optimal way to get the best airflow, so with the shades drawn, they danced alongside the wind as it whistled through them. The wooden floor was loud when someone walked across it, but it was decent for an island mansion.

More photos hung on the walls and rested on the shelves, more of Russell's parents, brothers, and more Russell. Tommy was particularly interested in the image of Russell that displayed him in a solo portrait; his cheeks had lines of face paint drawn across them, and his body was mostly covered in mud and leaves. His face was perfectly straight despite the ickiness of the photo. He wondered if Russell was uncomfortable. Russell moved toward Tommy as he looked into the drawers holding his old hunting gear. "I knew you hunted but didn't think you were a hoarder. That's a good thing," He said enthusiastically, looking at a jar of black face paint, which was required on some ventures if one was going to hide himself in the woods. "I wasn't. I only wanted to learn tracking skills. My father and mother were the ones who insisted I tag along on those ridiculous missions."

"Speaking of which, maybe we should start thinking about leaving sooner rather than later," Russell said. "Well, maybe not so fast? After all, we've been moving for almost five months. Don't you think we could use this as a sanctuary for a little bit?" Russell crossed his arms with a frown, "I thought you wanted to find the people who blew up the city?" Russell asked Tommy, who seemed to be a million miles away looking at a photo of Oscar of all people. "I do, but it's best not to cross the tribe right now. They let us inside of their fold. We're gaining their trust. We can use that." In Dynamic Patrol strategy, Tommy said, "Oh, that's a fancy way of saying they've assimilated us." Russell countered, stomping his foot. "I can't believe you're actually okay with this; it's crazy. Put that down, and quit going through my stuff!" Russell snatched the photo and slammed it face down back on the shelf in anger so it could continue collecting dust. Tommy flinched as he heard the glass crack. "I didn't say I was okay with it. I said we should play along so they don't kill us." Tommy started carefully and slowly, "I mean, think about it: we don't have a ship or anywhere else to go, so why not just settle here for a hot minute to think about the next phase of our plan? I would like to see if my brother is still... there. Your people survived. Maybe he's still alive somewhere."

Russell shook his head, "Don't be delusional. Kieran is dead, Tommy. His facility was in the main city. Trust me, we should focus on getting the heck out of here so we can find the bombers." Tommy's jaw dropped, "How could you say that!? He's not dead, he isn't! You don't care about the bombers. You just don't want to stay here with your family," Tommy yelled out as he pushed Russell forcefully, which certainly caught him by surprise. Russell blinked, and after a split second of through, he balled his hands up into fists, and soon the two were brawling. They'd each thrown decent punches at one another. Russell was hit, then Tommy, but it was expressed and demonstrated several times Tommy was much better at stretching and manipulating his body than Russell was, which meant that Russell was not landing as many hits on his opponent, but he was destroying the room as he collided with many things. Shelves, the bucket tumbled off its stand and clamored to the ground, its metal material striking the ground and causing damage to the floor.

After putting more than enough holes in the wall, Russell and Tommy ended up on the floor, and both of them were decently bruised. Mostly Russell. They lay there for about five minutes before Tommy finally addressed his former opponent, "Russell. I think that we should have separate rooms."