Chapter 36: Book

Jeannette's POV

Five days has passed since I've seen Papa. He's been requesting to see me, but I insisted that if he doesn't save Athy, I will not let him see even a strand of my hair. For the past few days, I've been moping around, doing nothing. I've never felt so empty and lifeless and depressed all at the same time. I feel so useless.

Athy is scheduled to be executed in two days, and I feel so restless. They won't let me see her. I've tried sneaking out two days ago, but even Emily won't budge on this.

I plop on my bed as I look out the window. 

Huh?

Immediately, I see a maid and a crimson haired man at a distance. 

Felix and Lily, Athy's maid.

I recognized the two, and an idea popped into my head.

Why haven't I thought of this?

I reached for the bell sitting on my side table and rang it. 

Emily walks in, "Yes, princess?"

She seemed to be relieved that I finally called for her after all these days.

"Call Lily for me." I tell her.

Emily looked uncomfortable, "But princess, if you need anything I-"

"I need you to call Lilian York for me, please." I insist.

This isn't something you can help me with.

Emily finally gave in, "Yes, princess. I'll be back with her."

"Wait," I call out before she leaves.

"Yes?" She turns back to me, midway through opening the door.

"Thank you for everything, Emily. You're very trustworthy." I flash her a warm smile.

I've been giving her a hard time lately although I know it's not her fault, and I felt bad. I'm not the only one suffering here.

Emily's expression lit up, "Yes, princess. Thank you!"

I genuinely smiled as she left.

I truly do treasure Emily.

I waited on my bed, staring at the ceiling when finally, a knock was heard, and the door opened.

"Princess, she's here, and Sir Robane would like to come in as well." She says. 

Felix?

I sat up from my bed and gave Felix permission to come inside.

"Felix?" I tilted my head to the side, "Why are you here?"

"Ah, princess," Felix says sheepishly as he shuts the door, "I hope you don't mind, but I wanted to come see you as well."

I nodded, smiling at him.

Really, Felix is such a sweetheart.

"Ah, you guys can have a seat." I motioned to the couch, and they both sat down.

"So, how have you been, Your Highness?" Lily asks softly, implying that she knows about my behavior for the past few days.

"Miserable." I say in a joking tone, but I meant it.

Everyone was silent for a while, until it felt too awkward for me.

I cleared my throat.

"So, um, Lily," I hesitated, "Have you heard from Athy at all?"