Chapter 26: Walk

"Sir, this is the report you've been asking for."

"Let me see." The man said, taking it.

The man's smirk widened as he read the report further.

"Good. Everything in the palace is according to the plan."

--------------------------------------------------

Athy's POV

It's been about a month since I moved into the Emerald Palace again, but I can't say much has happened.

All I know is that Lucas has been getting busier with the tower, and Jeannette has been called more and more often by dad for the meetings with nobles and tea parties.

Today is just another ordinary day, where I work with the paper work I have to deal with, and I'm all alone for the rest of my afternoon.

For the past month I've only been reading, or taking naps during my free time.

Perhaps I should do something different today?

"A walk sounds nice." I tell myself as I sit on my bed and stare outside the window.

I asked Lily for a parasol, then headed outside after changing into my outdoor clothes.

The flowers were absolutely stunning as they were on full bloom, and the weather was perfect. The sun's heat balancing out the cold air.

A flower caught my eye. It was a rose. 

Like Lucas' eyes..

I shook my head and sighed.

I've been thinking about him too much lately.

Suddenly, I snapped back to reality as I realized I wasn't alone.

I saw Jeannette and Dad talking, having a good time, and Felix following them right behind.

Just like us before he lost his memory.

It felt like someone was crushing my heart. It ached.

Soon enough, the three noticed me, and the atmosphere was quite uncomfortable.

"Athy?" Jeannette beamed. I'm sure she wanted me to join them.

I looked to see Claude's expression, but immediately regretted it.

He was looking at me just like in my first life. Like I'm a bug. Like he can't wait for me to go away and stop ruining his walk with his daughter.

"Athy! Would you like to joi-"

"Jeannette. Don't bother." Dad cut her off as he glared at me.

Jeannette immediately became concerned. Worried.

So did Felix.

Dad merely continued walking, and Felix had to follow him.

They walked past me. I could feel Dad's hatred radiating off of him. I was crushed. Ashamed. In despair.

Jeannette's shoulders slumped. She was conflicted.

She looked at me, wanting to side with me. And she was about to.

"Jeannette," Dad called, and it snapped Jeannette back to reality, "hurry up."

Jeannette gave me one last look, but it wasn't pity. No, it was despair. 

And I realized she truly wanted me to join them because she wants us to reconcile. I heard she's been begging him all this month to let me join them, but Dad refused each time.

I gave Jeannette a weak smile and turned away.

 I give up.

I accept it. I can't have my real Dad back. I understand. It'll be just like my first life, but this time I'll try to live, so it's fine. As long as he's happy, I'll be fi-

No.

I won't be fine.

And this is when I realize I had already been sobbing. I dropped my parasol to wipe my tears.

But why? Why wouldn't I be fine?

Suddenly the sun felt too hot, and the weather wasn't as balanced anymore.

Because it's not fair.

There wasn't as much wind to equal the sun's heat now. 

It's not fair that he left me behind. He left all the memories to me. Now he's remaking all of them, except with a different daughter.

Okay. So I'm not okay. I'm hurting. I expected and was disappointed.

Well, who could I blame? I already knew what was gonna happen. 

No one's to blame. It's not Dad's fault, not Jeannette's, and definitely not mine. It's just life.

Yes, it's just life.

And I've cried enough for it. There's nothing more to cry about.

I've already exhausted everything there is to cry for.

So I'll hold my head high, because now that I've hit rock bottom emotionally, there's nowhere to go but up.

And a couple of years went by like that. Dad doting on Jeannette, Jeannette being conflicted, and I focusing on what I have to do.