Chapter - 30

I remember the last time I had been really happy was when my mother was still alive

I remember the last time I had been really happy was when my mother was still alive. That was the time when I had both my parents and my elder brother, Carter, with me.

I didn't know that these days would ever become a thing of past. I didn't know that my mom would die and my father would just barely exist. I never knew that my brother would leave me and I would be forced to do things I don't want to. That I would be forced to hide a whole side of my life from the outside world, from people I would come to care about.

In the last seven years, I have learned one thing. That happiness is a fickle emotion and in the world where I survive, chasing this emotion is as useless as trying to reach the moon on foot. Because at the end, even if you somehow find happiness, you will somehow lose it all too. So, why to bother ourselves finding it when in the end all we would experience is nothing but hurt.

Or so I told myself. Until her.

She came barging into my life like a tornado and sucked me in. I was defenseless against her. And I knew letting her in would only lead to heartache. Not just to me, but she would end up hurt too, some way or the other. If it won't be me, then some enemy of mine would make her a casualty.

Yet, I still let myself be selfish for the first time in a very long time. I let myself like her, I let myself experience the magic of being with someone. To her, I wasn't an heir to my father's empire. To her, I was just me, just Gabriel.

And after the bliss full weeks we spent curled up in each other's embrace, I made the foolish mistake of thinking that maybe, just maybe I could have it all. But oh, how wrong I was.

Because even though I thought she would end up hurt. I never wanted it to be me to be the one to hurt. Not after all she has been through. I had this insane urge to protect her. And maybe that is the reason I never told her who I really am. Maybe that is why I kept my world hidden from her eyes, safely under lock and key. Maybe that is why I was always so hesitant to bring her to my place.

And I thought that maybe someday when I might tell her, she would understand me and still choose to be with me.

Maybe. Just maybe.

Until now.

Until I saw her looking pale as if she has seen a ghost, holding one of the guns in her hands, with a terrified and accusing look in her eyes. Looking as if I have betrayed her.

And maybe if I try, she would understand. So, I tried. "I can explain."

I took a tentative step forward, but she took one back, "Don't come closer."

At her words, what was left of my already broken heart, shattered into a million little pieces. The look on her face made me sick to my stomach. A look saying that she is afraid of me. A look warning me to not touch her. Not in this moment.

"Ahana. Baby, please keep the gun back and I will tell you everything you want to know.", I attempted to soothe her even though my own heart was bleeding out of fear of losing her. Out of losing someone yet again.