Four

"Just go away, Edward," Bella yelled before slamming the door.

"That Bella?" Embry asked from the couch where he and Katherine were watching a movie together.

"Yeah," Katherine said in a questioning tone. She paused the movie to try and listen to what was happening as Bella was making a bunch of noise upstairs. Charlie could be heard talking to Bella.

"I just have to get out of here before I end up like Mom," Bella's words stopped Charlie in his tracks.

"Bella," Katherine quickly followed her older sister out of the house. "What the hell?"

"Just go back inside, Katherine," Bella shook her head.

"Not till you tell me what the hell that was about," Katherine demanded.

"You wouldn't get it okay," Bella spun around to face her sister.

"Then help me get it," Katherine pleaded. Embry was now standing at the door watching as everything unfolded.

"I'm not your crutch, okay? Stop being so annoying," Bella spun around and got into her truck.

Katherine stood there shocked as Bella drove away. 'I'm not your crutch, okay? Stop being so annoying.' 'Annoying.' The words rang in her head. Her eyes got blurry and she began tapping her thumb on every finger, over and over again. 'Annoying.' 'I'm not your crutch.' 'Annoying.'

"Kit?" Embry called as he walked over to her. Her eyes focused on nothing as tears began to fall down her cheeks. Embry put his hand on her shoulder.

"No!" Katherine cried. "I don't need a crutch," she muttered. Embry caught her just as her knees buckled. 'Annoying.' 'Annoying.' 'Annoying.' Over and over as she began to sob.

"It's okay. I've got you," Embry muttered as he picked Katherine up and carried her back inside. "It's okay."

***

It wasn't too long after Bella left that Charlie informed Katherine about her sister being in the hospital.

"Okay," Katherine has been nonverbal since Bella left. Her words have been communicated via ASL. "I want to stay here. I don't think I can face Bella."

"Okay," Charlie kissed the top of Katherine's head. "I'm going to have Billy check in on you while I'm gone, okay?"

"I'll be fine," Katherine reassured.

"It's more for me," Charlie explained. Katherine nodded in response and went back to reading her book. Charlie sighed before leaving the house.

***

Embry❤
How you doing?

Katherine❤
Okay I guess. Bella's in the hospital. Fell out a window and broke her leg. Dad says she's doing okay.

Embry❤
Wow. Perhaps it's karma 🤷‍♂️

Katherine❤
Maybe. I'm heading to bed