Chapter 101: Seeing is Believing

Honestly, more notifications popped up in my mind than I would have expected from such a short match. It made me question my training under Deckard. I was pushing my limits a lot down there in the Labyrinth and have never been rewarded so generously. The only reasonable explanation seemed to be that this fight was what most of my skills needed, a little nudge.

Painless Agony reaches lvl 23

Painless Agony reaches lvl 24

...

Master's Shield reaches lvl 17

...

Swift as a Whip reaches lvl 23

...

Perfect Equilibrium reaches lvl 19

...

Spatial Domain reaches lvl 20

...

Never-Dying reaches lvl 39

...

Inner Perception reaches lvl 11

Inner Perception reaches lvl 12

Though for the effort I put in my training, it was damn little. A thought I didn't dare say out loud, knowing that others saw it differently. Stuck and not growing themselves, they'd envy me, saying it wasn't fair, that I didn't deserve it. Sour people like that, pissed off at their own inability, often didn't even want to see reason. They wouldn't care that my skills were woefully under-leveled for my level, that I tried my best day after day, shedding tears and blood.

The undeniable truth was when you stop challenging yourself. You stop growing, no less true on Earth. Some people get used to it and become content. For others, the stagnation resulting from that has been the source of constant frustrations and envy.

There was no need to look around to know that there were people of that nature, even among the city guards. I heard them in the noise that troubled my ears. Hence my effort to stand still and not move a muscle.

Damn hard, especially when I looked at the most important notification.

[YOU HAVE REACHED LEVEL 99]

Class level-up! How the hell did I manage that?

There was no order that I obeyed, not one that I was aware of except for the fact that I was part of this whole shebang. That couldn't be it, could it? No, that wouldn't give me a level. So I thought deeper, coming across what Deckard told me. To kick their asses. But seriously, did this count? They pretty much took themselves out.

Then I remembered the bet, proof of his trust in me. Perhaps it was his wish for me to win that I fulfilled.

Whatever the reason was, it moved me closer to getting rid of this dependence on the 'master' and his orders. Sure, I already found a way around it, but each time it made me wonder whose order I had fulfilled or whom and how I had pleased. So damn humiliating every time.

Evolution was my hope that would change, that my new class would require me to take a different approach.

A glance at my Status Screen, made me laugh with joy in my mind. Just one level. If everything went as it had so far, a day, two at most, and everything would be different. Slave, the class I hated, would be gone.

That was, assuming Evolution gave me something other than the three standard options for Slaves.

Name: Korra Grey