Chapter 14: Librarian

I didn't want to give up on [Tail of Poison Empress] so soon. It was annoying to have to constantly focus on what my tail was doing. It was tiring, requiring a lot of concentration, but at least it made me focus more on my surroundings than ever before. Hone my reactions to other people's movements. Right now, I was trying to avoid contact with them so as not to poison them. However, I was sure that it would be useful for me to avoid beasts' attacks in the labyrinth.

When I finally got through the people in the main hall to the counter, I was more sweaty than when I tested the weapons on the training dummy.

I handed the written confirmation from Nila Tenderfire to the receptionist along with 50 coppers.

"Were you happy with the trainer?" The receptionist asked me as she looked at the confirmation I gave her.

I hesitated. "I have a lot to think about. I expected more, but I don't think it is the Tenderfire's fault. I just don't know where to start."

"Try it where everyone else does, in the library," she suggested.

Right now, I wanted to slap myself.

"Pffff..." I spat hair out of my mouth when I really got slapped. But it wasn't my hand slapping me or anyone else. It was my tail. The bastard was doing what he wanted again. But I deserved the slap. Why didn't I think of that before? The library was full of information. There was no internet or wiki on Eleaden. The system didn't work that way, so the only place where the information was stored was in the books. Where were the books kept? In libraries where dust fell on them.

"And where can I find a library in Castiana?" I asked the grinning receptionist.

"On the other side of Imperial Square," She pointed to the front door, after that she checked the book, the cash I gave her and added. "All right, you paid for the training. Everything is in order."

I was glad to hear that, but I had one more question. Before I asked, however, I checked the desk, along with the receptionist's uniform, for a label with her name that I could have missed before. It relieved me not to see it anywhere. That meant that I had not missed her name tag at previous meetings, and it was not the reason for my ignorance of her name. It didn't change the fact that I should ask her, and I was going to change that.

"I'm sorry if it's rude, but is your name Enola?" I asked her.

The receptionist chuckled. "Yes, my name is Enola. It's not a secret, but I wonder where you heard it. "

"The fat man at the training rooms mentioned it when I refused to pay him and referred to you," I told the truth.

"Ah," she nodded understandingly. "Sean, if I knew he would be there today, I would have warned you. He was already complaining about me, but don't worry. You don't have to pay anything. Even though I heard the gas was quite toxic."

"I'm sorry," I said with my ears down.

"You don't have to. You have nothing to apologize for. Sean is just a spoiled idiot who should be fired," the receptionist told me, but then winked at me. "Don't say I told you."

"You don't have to worry," I said, sighing. "I don't even know who to tell."

It was sad, but I didn't have anyone I could call a friend in this world. The truth was, I didn't know if I was still able to trust someone enough to call him or her a friend. It was something I didn't like to admit, but I was afraid to talk to people. More precisely, to be in their presence. I was scared they would hurt me, that thanks to them, I will end up as a slave again.

Of course, it was only a few days after I regained my freedom. I couldn't expect, nor did I expect, to return to everyday life anytime soon. But I didn't want to live in fear for the rest of my life. That's why I was now in this entrance hall full of strangers, talking to a girl I barely knew, even though my heart was clenched in fear. It wasn't pleasant, but it could have been worse if my emotions were not suppressed by [Indomitable Will]. I was grateful for this skill because it allowed me to function like a normal person, a bit.