Chapter 94: Second Chance

Back on Earth, I used to hate mornings and hate them even now. Who in their right mind would want to get out of a comfy warm bed, knowing full well that there is nothing out there but toil, sweat, and pain.

On the other hand, my current bed wasn't so comfy. The mattress, made of who knows what, was too soft for my liking and the blanket too thin and itchy. A problem caused by sleeping on the floor for over a year, covered only by my soft and warm tail. What eventually got me out of bed was not these irksome things. It was Deckard's promise to teach me some moves today.

"Change of plans, girl," were his first words when he found me in Labyrinth Square less than an hour later. This rude man, as Zeranyphe put it, just didn't know how to say hello. A simple 'good morning' would be enough.

"So, what's the plan?" sighing, I asked while struggling with disappointment. I was actually looking forward to being taught how to fight properly.

"City Barracks," he said, squeezing my shoulder, knowing my frustration. "San found you a mana teacher and would like to introduce you to the group of junior guards you'll be diving into the Labyrinth with."

Rayden wanted me to do what? "Today?"

"You just meet them. No action, no labyrinth. I have to teach you something first, so you don't completely embarrass me down there, girl," he said, laughing. Was he serious? Did he really care? I didn't think so. More like he didn't want me to humiliate myself. Speaking of which, I looked down at my dirty, sweat-stinking clothes and gritted my teeth. Simply put, I looked like a beggar. Not the first impression I wanted to make at this group meeting.

"Come on." Deckard prompted as he took a step.

"Can we stop by my inn first?" I called after him, catching up.

He laughed again, knowing full well the reason. "Sure, lead the way."

...

With the streets being less bustling early in the dawn than later in the day, it didn't take us long to reach the barracks gate, even with that one brief stop. And really, it was a matter of minutes. Just a change of shirt and pants, no bath, no makeup, no combing my mane before I was presentable, relatively speaking.

To my ease, I didn't see any Imperial Soldier Uniforms at the gate. There were only two city guards standing guard talking to a couple of terrans.

If I heard right, there was some problem with their landlord and the amount of rent he was making them pay. Not that I meant to eavesdrop. They were simply too noisy for me to overhear. Given their anger, nothing strange.

Rent regulation, huh? In my view, that was more a matter for the City Hall, so it took me by surprise when the guards let them in. But who was I to judge? Perhaps there was more to it than just the 'bastard' landlord wanting more and more coin.

"Ah, look at that. Deckard and Grey," the clean-shaven guardsman standing guard chimed in when we reached the gate.

I raised an eyebrow along with my ear. Deckard and Grey? What the hell?!

Surely everyone knew the rude man, especially the city guards where he used to work. How the fuck did he know me, though? Then it hit me, and not just once. I was Deckard's apprentice, the reason they had to rebuild the barracks. Did the city guard know about Esu, too? He didn't, right?

"Hi, Edwyn." Deckard greeted the man, glancing at the other. "Berian."

What the bloody hell! I was speechless. He says hello to them and doesn't even say good morning to me? Now I felt offended.

Channeling my inner calm and determined not to stoop to his level, I gave my regards. "Good morning."

Both guards returned my nod. "You too," the other replied. Not the polite greeting I was hoping for, but at least something.