Chapter 7: Laundry

Thanks to the receptionist, I got a better idea of ​​the local seekers. They were not so different from the adventurers I knew from movies, books, games, manga, or anime. Only in Castiana, a city built on an ancient structure, instead of embarking on an adventure somewhere in the unexplored wilderness, they ventured into the depths of the labyrinth below the city. Instead of visiting places undiscovered by humans, they dived deeper under the city.

I had no illusions that being a seeker would be safe work. My skills weren't exactly suited for combat. So why did I even think about it? Why was I not satisfied with ordinary work, settled down, and lived in peace until my death? Because you never know what will happen. I had such a plan. To open my own flower shop, get married, have children, and retire. Everything changed when the fae appeared in front of me.

I had no idea when the next one would appear.

That's why I wanted to be stronger, not to experience the helplessness I felt when I involuntarily became a slave. Being a seeker was an excellent way to start working on my strength.

"Castiana offers training courses for beginning seekers. They are led by experienced seekers who will teach you basic combat knowledge," the receptionist at the town hall told me.

Of course, she was trying to sell me something else.

"How much does the training cost?" I asked.

"Basic training 50 coppers an hour," she said.

"Wow - that's a lot."

"They are experts, miss. They earn much more than that in the labyrinth."

"I understand that, but my bag isn't that big," I said.

The receptionist just shrugged. "It's up to you. I can register you now. You can then go to the labyrinth. If you successfully conquer the first floor yourself, you will officially become a seeker. I'm just pointing out that it's more dangerous than it may seem."

"What exactly does it mean to conquer the first floor?" I asked.

"You must find the entrance to the second floor on the first floor."

I nodded. "Isn't it easy to buy a map then and head straight for that entrance?"

"It would be, but this is a labyrinth, not a dungeon. The layout of each floor is different each time you visit it. Otherwise, it would not be a labyrinth. You can visit a floor a hundred times, but it will never be the same as on previous visits."

"That sucks," I sighed.

"It has always been that way. Do you want to register and try your luck? However, the city hall bears no responsibility for you in the labyrinth," the receptionist warned me again.

I shook my head. "No, I have to think about it."

"I'm glad to hear that. I've seen enough young people find their deaths on the first floor." The receptionist sighed. "You should know that labyrinth seekers are also called death seekers, but most often they are called deekers."

"That's not exactly flattering."

The receptionist nodded. "It's not, but death is what a lot of seekers find in the labyrinth."

I couldn't say anything to that.

"Timmy mentioned something about companies as well?"

"Yes, only employees of companies with the appropriate authorization can enter deeper floors of the labyrinth. There are many companies in Castiana. They differ in what they do. Some focus on mining, others on meat, and raw materials from monsters. Other companies are looking for artifacts or just trying to dive deeper into the labyrinth. It's up to you which company is closer to you and your interests, and it's up to the company to accept you. Usually, it is not a problem because there is always a lack of seekers according to them."