Chapter 43: A Gigantic Nest and A Pack of Ravenous Wolves

I quietly sip from my mug of hot coffee, fighting off the cold of the crisp mountain air while watching Jason wrestle his friend James with an enormous, goofy grin plastered on his face. The ball they're supposedly fighting over lays forgotten on the ground beside them, but no one seems to care. I think they forgot what game they were playing.

As far as I'm aware, touch football doesn't usually involve wrestling, but what do I know? Football, in any of its forms, isn't really something I've ever paid attention to. The only reason I'm paying attention to it now is because it's incredibly amusing to watch.

When Jason first told me that I had agreed to go on spring break with his college buddies, this was the furthest thing from what I thought it would be. My mind had imagined a vacation filled with a bunch of immature adults heading to a beach somewhere, surrounded by scantily clad coeds enjoying a week of debauchery and making poor life decisions that would haunt them for the rest of their lives. I mean, that's what most people think about when someone mentions spring break, right? I honestly thought I was screwed.

I mean, what better way is there to aggravate my already possessive animal instincts than to surround myself and my desired mate with a bunch of drunk, half-dressed, barely legal coeds who are looking for some "fun" right smack dab in the middle of mating season? I'm already struggling to keep myself in check, so why not add more temptation into the mix, huh? I'd make the whole hotel room one gigantic nest and never let Jason out of my sight. I'm sure that would have gone over well with his friends.

Honestly, I was dreading the whole thing.

So, imagine my surprise when instead of running off to a warm beach somewhere, I found out that he and his friends had rented a cabin in the mountains.

It's everything I wanted in a vacation. It's absolutely beautiful here. The cabin is low enough on the mountainside that there are still forests surrounding it, but high enough that you can see for miles when you look out the windows on the second floor. It's secluded too, so we can shift without worrying about any neighbors seeing us. I really think they picked the most relaxing vacation option. The only thing I'm missing that would make this place perfect is quiet.

It shouldn't shock you, but Jason and his friends are pretty noisy when they're goofing around. There's a lot of joking around, laughing, and growling. Lots of growling.

I suppose I should mention that most of his friends are wolves.

Darington University, the school Jason attended, is located in the heart of wolf territory. It's surrounded by four of the largest packs in North America. A majority of its students come from those packs, so it shouldn't be surprising that the friends he made there are wolves.

Obviously, that's not why he's friends with them. That's just how the chips fell. Go to a school where almost 75% of the students fit into a certain group and you're bound to come out with friends who belong to it.

I'm actually jealous he got to attend Darington. I applied and got accepted, but my parents refused to help me financially if I went there. It wasn't because they were afraid for my safety or anything like that. They don't have a problem with wolves. They tried to convince me to mate with one after all.

No. What they had a problem with was my major. Darington is well-known for its education and arts departments. There are other degrees available there, of course, but their courses for art, literature, and education are top notch. Since my parents hated, and still hate, the idea of my being a teacher, they pushed me to attend Percival University, a school known for producing lawyers and entrepreneurs instead. They had hoped it would convince me to change my major. Or, if nothing else, find a nice lawyer or future CEO to settle down with.