Reunions

Morai assumed the helicopter in front of her belonged to Team Rocket and she was right. She flew under it. It was simple. She didn't want to deal with them right now, so she wasn't going to. Archer and Petrel on the other hand, weren't just going to let her go. Petrel was angrier than Archer, who had once even suggested leaving her alone. But she had completely veered from her own plan and made their job a lot harder than it could've been and they wanted to know why. Proton was in the helicopter too, but he had no idea what had happened, so he didn't have any particular feelings either way. That was his usual position in most situations anyway.

Morai took her earpiece out and put it into one of her pouches. She considered dropping it into the sea below, but she wasn't a litterer. Not much longer and she reached the outskirts of Akala island. She could hear the sound of the helicopter behind her, but she didn't care. She didn't think they'd travel into the island where they were so noticeable, but they persisted. The problem was, she couldn't just waltz into town either. Not dressed like she was anyway. She landed on the tiny piece of land surrounded by rocks on Route 7. It was the best place she had to change as fast as she could into normal clothes. When she landed, however, the aircraft hovered low over the island, and out jumped Proton. She looked to the sky and sighed. Proton came running up to her and wrapped his arms tightly around her body before she could react.

"Half-and-Half! Where've you been all this time?! We were beginning to think you left for good, but then you came back just to save me!" the Executive exclaimed.

"Uh, aren't you mad at me or something?" Morai asked.

"Pfft. I'm not, I didn't see what happened! Archer cooled off and Petrel still isn't happy, but he'll get over it in no time."

Morai pushed Proton off of her.

"Then why did you follow me all this way?"

"To see you! You've been gone for a long time, as I said. We honestly thought you might've quit... or died."

I wouldn't call it quitting.

"I did qui—I mean, stop. But I saw your flare and thought I should help you out, and that's all I planned to do. I'm not putting this mask back on again," Morai explained.

"Wait, what? Why?"

The helicopter had flown off and left them there alone. It was dark now, and the sea around them was illuminated with the light of the stars and moon. The crashing of waves sent the occasional splash of water their way, and the wind blew salty air through their hair. Proton looked as if he had personally fought multiple police agents in his escape. Morai could see that his nose had been bleeding, and so had the scuffs on his face. He didn't have the cap he usually wore on his head, and his clothes had even been burned in a few places. To her surprise, she actually was beginning to feel sympathy for him. She had gone to rescue him, sure, but that was because he had treated her so nicely, and she was paying him back for the first time they met. After that, she could hang her mask up for good.

"...Because...I don't know if this is who I am," she said. "It's made me happy, but it's also torn me to shreds with guilt. Every time I do something as The Mask Maker, I doubt it later and wonder if I'm making the right decision by continuing to put this mask on. I've been trying to pull off this elaborate balancing act between my two lives, but it's become a burden that's getting too heavy to carry."

"Is that what you want...to stop forever?" Proton asked. They both sat down side by side on a piece of rock, facing the ocean.

"...I don't know. I don't seem to know what I want anymore. The world has honored me for being one thing, yet I deeply crave to be something it hates."

"That doesn't make the world just. Ever since I was a kid I've been a little...well, let's just say 'out there'. My parent's weren't sure what to do with me. I tried to suppress it, but that didn't stop it. My proclivity for violence only grew deeper and never went away. My parents eventually wanted nothing to do with me. The world labeled me a monster, so that's what I became. Most of the world shunned me, but then I found Team Rocket. I met people that I became good friends with. Giovanni, Petrel, Archer, Ariana...and you. We understand each other. I've actually learned to control what I was feared for in the first place. Ignoring its existence only made it worse...life is too short to spend pleasing other people."