The Choices We Must Make

Giovanni sighed a small sigh. 

"I'm not sure that what you're seeking is what you really want, or need for that matter. You can't keep juggling two completely separate lives forever. One will eventually start to bleed into the other until they are permanently inseparable. One day, someone will recognize you when you're not wearing a mask. You'll slip up and make the tiniest mistake that instantly reveals your secret. Your mask will be knocked off your face. Would you rather let fate decide when the world knows, or be prepared and do it your own way? You're trying to separate two parts of you that desperately want to become one." 

Morai thought for a moment. He, again, had a point. She had so many difficult decisions to make when she didn't even know who she truly was, or at least who she really wanted to be. She didn't want to accept that she would have to choose one life over the other. She wanted so badly to just bury her head in her hands and think alone, but she had to keep up her unemotional facade. She wasn't wearing a physical mask over her face, but she still had to hide her true emotions. She didn't trust Giovanni at all. They were technically business partners, sure, but he was a seasoned criminal with many more devious crimes behind him. He was like a snake.  He was cunning, and would slither into your life and bite you with his poisonous fangs at the perfect time when you were at your weakest and most vulnerable. Not to mention he had a gun of some kind. As she thought about this, he sensed her uneasiness. 

"I'll let you decide that for yourself. Let's change the subject."

"How did you find me? And how did you get in my house, anyway?" Morai asked.

"I have many resources at my disposal...and I picked your lock."

They talked for a while. Morai had a sense that Giovanni was just trying to disarm her and get her to let her guard down, but she had to admit it was nice to talk to someone who knew about her secret. They obviously were different in a lot of ways, but they were similar in some ways, too. They both liked the same kind of music, for instance. That or Giovanni "just happened" to like the same music she did because she might trust him more. Although, she liked old music, so it made sense. 

"You're very tense. If you keep that up you'll end up with a headache," he said.

Why did it seem like he could see right through her? 

"Well, for one, you broke into my house with ease and brought a weapon, which you've probably put an end to someone with. Then you tell me you know that I'm The Mask Maker. And now you stick around for a chat. Have you forgotten who you are?" Morai asked. The tone in her voice was calm and matter of fact. Anger leaves one vulnerable. 

"Hm, you do have a point there. Would you like me to leave?" Giovanni asked. He had a slight smile on his face. She hated playing this game with people like him, because he was better at it than her. 

"Yes, please do." 

"And will her excellency grace Team Rocket's own dwelling place with her return?" Now he was just mocking her, exaggerating his gestures and tone of voice. 

"...Maybe." 

"We'll be awaiting your return," he said. He started to leave, but turned around before he exited the doorway. "Oh, and by the way, I'm the only one that knows about your identity. Even my executives are unaware. I figured it was up to you to tell them on your own terms."

 He shut the door, finally gone. She slumped back into the couch with a sigh. 

Well, that was nice of him I guess...but now I definitely need a better lock on my door. 

Archer was pacing around his room once again, thinking. The evening offered less and less light for his room as the sun prepared to set, but he didn't bother turning the light on. He couldn't stop thinking. Thinking about her