The Price of Admission

Sigh....

Morai laid in bed, staring at the ceiling. It was one of those days again. One of the days where she couldn't put genuine thought behind anything she did. She couldn't think at all, really. It wasn't because she was tired or sad or sore, but simply because it was the price she paid for having the life she had now. 

One day, she had been given a gift. She discovered that she had received the tiniest spark of a new ability, the ability to tap into and control the minds of other people, but she had to cultivate and feed that spark until she could do anything of the sort. It took months of meditation and practice just to reach the weak ability she had now, and even still, she receives help from Malamar and the masks Team Rocket made. Not to mention that it gives her painful headaches. One day, theoretically, she would be able to simply look at someone, or even multiple people, and take hold of their minds. 

But what exactly caused all of this? Your guess is as good as hers. Imagine discovering you have some sort of psychic ability AND the desire to use it for some newfound purpose. 

The trainer dragged herself out of her Alolan hideout bed and got ready. She usually didn't go out as The Mask Maker on these days, because she was more prone to making thoughtless mistakes, but she had agreed to something. 

"Well, well, well! It's good to see you again. I can't express how ecstatic we are that you've agreed to our proposition."

I'm starting to think I've made a really, really big mistake.

Morai stood in front of the two scientists that had tried to convince her to take her mask off and let them scan her brain several weeks ago. When she finally decided to, she asked Proton if there was anyone else that could do it. 

"No one? At all?" 

"No, sorry," Proton said with a shrug. "They're the ones that will do it the best. They're skilled in both science and medicine. They kind of suck, but they know what they're doing."

The Mask Maker hesitantly followed them to one of the lower floors. When the elevator doors opened, an eerie silence fell upon the cold and dim floor. Doors that led to dark rooms lined the halls. She could see a blinking red light faintly illuminating the area on the left. The trainer walked with them out of the elevator, then stopped. Her stomach lurched and the hair on the back of her neck stood up. Things had happened in these labs, and the floors beneath no doubt held darker secrets. Her mask scanned the area and found no life. They were the only breathing things on this floor. 

"You know what?" she abruptly said. "I've changed my mind. I'm not doing this today." 

She backed up, but ran into one of them.

"No, no! Don't be silly," one of the scientists said with a nervous laugh. "You can't change your mind now! This place does have a little bit of an...unsettling atmosphere to it, but once we get the lights on, it'll be better."

"I said I'm leaving. Now move aside," Morai demanded. She started to reach into her coat for a mask, sending the message that if he didn't move she was going to use it. The scientist behind her clasped his hands together and nodded in anticipation, but she didn't notice. The one blocking her path understood, and stayed in place. 

My head is so foggy, I'm not in the mood for this. I thought he'd move. 

"Move," she demanded again. 

"I'm afraid I can't do that, miss. The potential knowledge to be had is too valuable!"

Oh fine then.