35: I Can't Read Cursive

Start from the beginning

"All of the above." Rory replied, as her leg began to bounce up and down.

The women nodded, "Well, I'll bare that in mind for our next session. However, for now, I need you to return to History-"

Aurora panicked at the councillors sudden urge to send her to lesson, she needed to come up with an excuse quickly. She held her stomach, fake winces escaping her mouth, "I just, uh, feel really unwell. Like, psychically sick. I think-"

"Here. Have some water." The women put a bottle of water on the desk for Aurora to take, "It's nearly the end of the day, there's no point in sending you home."

Rory's face dropped, as she resisted the urge to say something about how the school doesn't actually care for you. She kept those thoughts in, as she took the bottle and stormed to her lesson.

She arrived at her classroom, as she found her hands shaking as they hovered over the doorknob. She couldn't bring herself to open it. The thought of walking into class made the girl anxious. Unfortunately for Aurora, the school councillor was close behind her- making sure she arrived to her lesson.

"In you go, Aurora." The lady chirped, "Chop chop."

Aurora gritted her jaw, as she quickly open the door, harder than she needed to. She paused for a moment, as the class looked up at her. Rory's heart sunk to the bottom of her stomach and she felt that feeling of vulnerability again.

Mr Sunn greeted, "Miss Maybank, I'm glad you came to join us... You're just in time for our test. Come on in."

Rory reluctantly sat down at her desk, which was next to Kiara's. She looked at Rory and mouthed, "Where've you been?"

"Toilet." Rory whispered back, as Mr Sunn walked over to her desk with the test paper. Aurora looked behind her to see her brother, his head in his hands and his test on the first page. School wasn't the environment for Maybanks.

A while had past, and Aurora's paper was still unanswered. She couldn't concentrate on anything, as all that she could think of was Sarah and John being alive. After all of this time. She wondered what they were doing right now. She wished to be there with them, but when she opened her eyes, she was back in school.

The door opened, making everybody look up. A man walked in, "Mr Sunn, can I borrow Pope for a minute?"

Mr Sunn whispered, "We're in the middle of a test."

"I'm from the Vanderhorst Foundation." The man replied, and Mr Sunn nodded in realisation.

"Mr Heyward, it's for you." The History Teacher announced, as Pope stood up and walked outside.

Rory anxiously waited for Pope to come back, and when he quickly came walking back inside, she knew something was wrong. Pope turned around, showing them the letter that he had just retrieved, a familiar wheat symbol had been stamped on the back.

Rory whispered, "Shit, that's the wheat symbol."

JJ squinted his eyes from behind them, and they widened when he saw it, "What the fu- fudge. What the fudge?"

The bell rang after what seemed like years of staring at an empty exam paper, then the group followed Pope to the library. The boy had not said a word since they left class, he was too desperate to open the letter.

"Is this a game of tag?" JJ asked, as he followed Pope into the library.

"I don't know." Kiara replied, "Seriously, Pope, you are driving me insane. Just tell us."

Aurora pulled out a chair to sit on, as the group gathered around a table. Rory took a breath, "You know I have bad lungs, Po."

"Okay, so the guy was from the scholarship committee. Take a look at this." Pope breathed, "Read it out loud."

JJ snatched the letter from him, then he paused before speaking, "I, uh, I can't read cursive."

Kie furrowed her eyebrows, before reading the letter to the group, "Dear Mr Heyward, I am reaching out because I have material evidence that can exonerate John B Routledge. It is a vital importance that you come and meet with me in person at my offices at 27 King Street Charleston at 8:00pm sharp tonight. Please come alone. Regards C Limbrey."

"Charleston?" Aurora frowned, "It's like an eight hour drive, plus the ferry."

"Exactly." Pope paced up and down, "How are we gonna get there tonight?"

"We'd have to leave like right now." JJ replied.

"I have a free period." Kiara suggested, which made Aurora nod enthusiastically.

"And I'm not planning on going to any lessons." She agreed as she stood up, "Let's just go-"

"Wait. Material evidence? What does that even mean?" JJ interrupted, as his sister perched on the edge of the table.

"It means he can clear John B." Kiara replied, then she let out a sigh, "I gotta tell my mom. Look, if we get it this time, we are not giving it to Shoupe."

Pope hesitated as he typed on the computer, causing the three to look at him. Rory leaned over his shoulder, "Who's that?"

"Captain Herman Limbrey." Pope replied, as he looked at the old picture of a man on his computer screen, "Whoever this Limbrey person is, I think they're related to the captain of the Royal Merchant."

a/n:
  sorry this part took so long to publish, i just didn't know if i liked it. ill get back to my usual posting schedule now, it's only because i had mocks!!