Chapter 35: Devouring the U-20 Team

------

Time: 15 min

------

Anri: Did Kiyotaka just-

Ego: Why are you pissing yourself? Is this the first time you've seen him in action?

Embarrassed and enraged, Anri pouted.

Anri: I'm just saying! He just stopped Itoshi Sae's shot!

Ego: This is the first time these strikers are dealing with world-class defenders. Kiyotaka analyzed how Aiku cleared the ball from the penalty box in their failed chemical reaction and adapted it into his play style along with his previous abilities.

Anri: But to be able to see something once and then combine it with other skills to make it even better... I've seen him time and time again do it but that's just-

Ego: Expected. Like I've already said time and time again, his father gassed him up to be a masterpiece and perfect in all facets of his character. From entering the Bland King project to now, he's changed alot, that much is certain. But he still is far from being the striker I want from this program.

Anri: Hm? I don't follow you?

Ego: The question you should be asking instead is whether or not you'll see evolution during this game. Is his ceiling the Bland King he's been till this point, or will he evolve even further, to something I can make use of...to something Japan can rely on.

Anri: You're too harsh. You're just never satisfied.

Ego: Your generation is all too coddled. This match will determine which approach Japanese soccer will take and I placed my bet on us. Our egoists will always deliver.

...

...

...

Isagi: (I'm still missing the piece I need to crack their defense line! Actually, I don't even know what it is that I'm lacking right now. That's just how strong they are... but that doesn't matter. I'm already past that. It's clear what I need to do...)

Kiyotaka and Rin dashed forward as Isagi met their eyes.

Isagi: (Discard all unnecessary thoughts! Concentrate on what I can do right now! Kiyotaka saved us from getting into an early hole. I'm going to use everything I've got and focus only on building my plays with Rin and Kiyotaka!)

Otoya pushed the ball forward, passing it over in the direction of Nagi.

However, it wasn't quick enough as Yagami dashed in between both Otoya and Nagi to snatch the ball right from their feet.

Isagi: Like hell I'd let you!

Yagami: Hm?

*KICK*

Isagi already predicted Yagami's movements, arriving to the spot before he did, right towards Nagi.

{{}}

Ichinose: So he isn't useless after all.

{{}}

Isagi: (He might be fast, got better reflexes than me, and more physical, but I have him beat in football IQ. I reached the pass first!)

A simple first touch and Nagi was off to the races until he was stopped by Itoshi Sae who moved forward to steal the ball from his grasp.

Kiyotaka: Here.