Chapter Twenty-three - Mistakes were made

Start from the beginning

"Yes."

"I didn't find it there. She had a bunch of letters, which I grabbed, but no book."

I grimaced in disgust. Perfect. Well, at least I was right about the letters.

"However, I did find it at Head Librarian Janicen's home." There was a tightness in her voice.

My hands paused from wrapping her injury. "But?"

"But I didn't see the dog when I broke in. Her house was bigger, a two story. Since I spent more time looking for things, I must have woken it up. When I left through the kitchen door, it smashed straight through a bedroom window from the second floor."

"Goodness! How did you not get cut by the glass?"

"I rolled out of the way, and it missed me. But the dog didn't. With a howl that would have knocked Asrit out of a deep sleep, the mutt grabbed at my leg and began to shake it like a pillow. At first, she only got a bit of my pantleg, but that soon ripped. Throwing a rock at the dog didn't deter her. And her next bite found flesh."

"An animal in such a frenzy should have caused more damage. How did you escape?"

She gave me a sheepish grin. "I always rub my arms and legs with a spicy paste when I'm on a job for these reasons. It causes great discomfort... she let go." Her smile disappeared again, and she sighed. "There's no use going into details. I made far too much noise."

I flopped onto the floor and covered my face with my hands. "Outer space is silent. Perhaps I should boot you into it."

She snorted but didn't reply, probably because she felt guilty. Instead, she sat beside me and rubbed my shoulder lightly.

"You should be glad that Janicen and Madame Claire were with me during your mess." I pushed her hand away and sat up.

There was a knock on the door, and we looked at each other. I grabbed the bag of potions and threw it at her, then pointed at the comfort chamber. She hobbled over to it and closed the door. Then I approached the front door and opened it.

Janicen was standing outside with her arms folded.

"Madame Claire has gone to bed as the memories about Gladys upset her. May I speak to you?"

"Certainly. Is everything all right?" I was hesitant to let her in, but finally, I stepped aside to allow her access.

Janicen walked past me and into the room. I shut the door behind her. Then, I followed her in to sit on the edge of the bed as she surveyed the room. There was still blood on the floor, as we'd had no time to clean up yet.

"She will be fine. And what of the Sister? Is she well?" Janicen looked around the room for her.

I sat in a chair and tried to make my posture loose, and my expression bland, but mildly concerned. "It's nothing. Just a scratch."

I gestured toward the chair beside mine, and she sank into it. Her lips twisted into a smirk. "Is it?"

The tone of her voice made me alert. "Yes, why do you ask?"

I was robbed, and my dog sustained mouth injuries from capsaicin paste. She also had jumped through my bedroom window, getting cuts on her body. It was curious. How did such a thing come to be?" She tapped her chin. "Oh, and there was quite a bit of blood and scraps of black leather in my backyard."

I kept my expression in a show of mild surprise. "Indeed? Shocking."

Janicen eyed me. "Did the Sister happen to be close to my home? Perhaps she saw something?"

"Why, I don't think so, unless the shops are nearby." I kept my voice even and unreadable.

"There are a few, since my home is by the library."

"Rather bold of anyone to rob a home where it is busy. But Sister Una had nothing to say about any robbers while treating her."

Her eyes narrowed slightly as she regarded me for a moment. She tilted her head to the side. "There were some missing items. I hate to ask this, but may I check your bags?"

I leaned forward, resting my elbows on my knees and clasping my hands together, trying to appear earnest. She wouldn't find the book or any other documents, as they were with Ursula in the comfort chamber, but she would find the various charms we brought. They were things a man and woman of the cloth wouldn't have need for. "Did you know that only female mosquitoes bite people?"

The Librarian looked as though I had gone mad at first, and then her expression grew more shrewd. "I might have heard that before."

I was strangling myself in my head, but I smiled serenely. "Let's discuss my proposal to get you off of this island instead. I believe we might be able to help you, Head Librarian."

She cocked one eyebrow. "I am finding myself even less willing." A corner of her mouth twitched in amusement. "You're not really a priest, and I can see your obvious deflection. In fact, I believe you to be a Seeker. Seekers don't normally take the vows. Who are you?"

I frowned briefly, "It's quite upsetting that you think so lowly of me, Miss."

She smirked at me.

I pursed my lips in annoyance and sighed. "I was a friend of Gladys, Head Librarian, and she would have wanted you both safe. I can't say anything more than that. Do you want passage off this island, or not?"

She chuckled and seemed to have figured out something. "You wanted something from us. You might still need something. There's nothing benevolent in your actions, 'Father'. "

I was all innocence. "I am a simple man of the cloth.

"Fine. But first, give me back the things you stole from me."

Ursula exited the bathroom then and shot a small, concussive beam at Head Librarian Janicen.

I stood up quickly, "What did you do that for?"

She looked at me like one would a small infant. "She was stalling for something. She was going to go straight to the authorities. She might even have them waiting outside."

"You don't know that!"

Ursula was already digging in her satchel and pulling out potions. "We'll have her drink this. It will knock out the last hour or so of her memory. Then we'll pretend she got drunk and we took her upstairs with us to rest."

"And if there are constables outside?"

Her eyes grew cold. "Then I get to kill people."