Chapter Eighteen - Departure

When I put on the homunculus, it was different. For one, I was not standing as tall as I used to, and for another, it seemed thinner. The lighting wasn't good in the cabin, but I could tell the skin was tawnier as well.

It wasn't the same homunculus that Perron had left me. I doubted I looked much like a Calashan noble with their nearly ivory hue. While I cursed about the switch he had done, I heard a knock on the cabin door.

The knock sounded again, louder this time.

With a trembling hand, I grabbed the dagger out of the pouch. I wiped my sweaty palm on the brown leather slacks I'd been provided with. Then I realized just how incredible that was. I was sweating. No. The homunculus was sweating. Despite being vexed at Perron, I had to give him respect for all the details this artificial life possessed.

After a third knock that shook the wall, I eased over to the door. Whoever was behind it had not announced who they were, which meant they weren't Larimar. They hadn't made any official demands either, so they weren't guards. I clutched the dagger tighter and debated whether to open it and then jump back so I could assess and attack or if I should pretend that I left.

"Solace."

My mouth pursed in disgust. It was Perron. His voice wasn't loud enough to carry, but the doorframe still shook as he knocked again, and his voice reverberated despite its low tone. He would alert someone to my presence if he kept this going.

I huffed, then swung open the door and jumped back with my knife brandished toward him. "Perron." 

I didn't add any honorifics. He didn't deserve them.

And I didn't lower the knife until he reached out toward me, palms held up as if to show peace. I stepped back more, not wanting his touch to contaminate me. "Why are you here? Where's Larimar?" My voice oozed with the bitter sense of betrayal that bubbled within me.

He stepped inside, closing the door behind himself before responding. "He went to the docks. I am here to take you there."

"Lies. Larimar told me to stay here until he got back. I also know that you switched my homunculus."

My eyes flicked towards where his hand rested upon the door handle. My only exit was blocked, but if I was desperate, I could try to stab my way out or use a fireball. A fireball in a wooden cabin would be a bad choice, but it could be the only way to cut my way past Perron.

Unaware of my intent to burn him alive, he was trying to reason with me. "I will explain, but there's been a change of plans, so you need to come with me. We don't have time right now to go over why." His head tilted down to meet my eyes, and when he spoke again, his tone had become more urgent and lowered in volume to a whisper. "Please, Solace. You'll be safe with me."

I learned quite recently that anyone telling me I could trust them was immediately suspect. With a grunt of disapproval, I held my blade steady. "You changed my homunculus. I was told to wait at least an hour, but you're here well before that. I think you followed Larimar. In fact, I think you plan to send me off without Xīwàng, or worse, have me imprisoned again."

"Solace, please. Come with me, please." There was desperation written in every inch of his features. His desperation only made me warier.

"Give me a good reason."

"Because... Because... Solace, we don't have time for explanations. Please come with me." He dragged his fingers through his hair in frustration.

"Not until you give me a reason."

"Fine. With everything that happened, we don't have time to make you act like a pure Calashan anymore. You just never got it." A measure of contempt entered his voice as he continued, "I had to make a new homunculus to look like a mixture of Calashan and Aluraparinese. You are still my cousin, but your mother is from Aluraparine and you were raised on a small estate on Cetlin Island."