Chapter 14; Adventure Waits

Agent Grey is cooly, and typically tries to keep a calm, stern attitude, but Eve is always pushing that. Even now, he is trying his patience with her, as she and Sam were scrabbling around in her apartment, minutes before a important flight. Grey takes in a sharp inhale, then snaps.  "Oh my GOD, Eve. You've packed enough already! Why are you still rummaging through your bags?!" He crosses his arms, huffing impatiently.

Eve zooms by Grey preoccupied. She turned her head as her hands were overflowing with books. Several water canisters were slung across her arms and body. She put everything in bags frantically. "I'm just making sure I don't forget anything, it's important! What if there's not enough water for everyone? Dehydration is probably our worst threat for the next few days!"

Grey puts a hand through his hair, groaning exhaustively as he watches his partner work herself up a storm. "You've done this a million times, acting all calm and confident before. How in the bloody hell are you panicking in the final hour before we depart?!" He waved out his arms, snapping tiredly at Eve.

Eve fiddles her hands together, pouting like a child. "It's a little different than before... I just want to make sure it's perfect." She was trying to deflect in acting innocents.

Grey huffs and keeps cradling his head a bit. As irritated as he was, he really was trying to get Eve to calm down more. "Ugh... I'm sure it's fine. The research team has their own packs and necessities, you're probably just overdoing it at this point."

Eve knew that, but no one knew the trek better than her either. "Better well prepared, than under prepared!" She gave a warm smile, and a thumbs up confidently.

Grey just shakes his head, and walks over to all of Eve's stuff she was packing, trying to get things moving. "Grab your bags, I'll help you. We should be heading to the jet soon- and is this a saddle?" He whips his head back and lifts up what was indeed, a thick, cloth saddle, with a pouch attached to the back part. He picked it up on top of a travel bag.

Eve turns, with a duffle bag and several other tote bags. She acted calmly, yet was carrying her whole weight, maybe more, all at the same. "So Sam's not uncomfortable, if I ride on him. It was my designer's idea, when I first brought Sam home. We'll all have mules or something, but I'll have extra help so Sam doesn't have to carry me and my bags at once." She walks by Grey, who annoyingly takes the one tote that she had left, when he was asking about the saddle on top of it.

Grey pans over to Eve slowly, groaning slightly as he watches her walk towards the door, not even sure how she'd open it by herself. "Remind me, how long you'd estimate it'll take us to get there?"

Eve swings a foot up in a halt her motion and turns to Grey. "Three days." She smiled innocently.

Grey walks past Eve and Sameer quickly, taking a tote from Eve's hand, and grabbing the door. "Let's just get this over with...." He grumbled, and they walked out.

They made their way to the S.O.U. rooftop, meeting their research team, and piling all together in a black jet. They take off, and the jet flies out of New York, and heads over the Atlantic. It wasn't till after a long while of riding in the clouds, did they descend down into somewhere in the Middle East.

____________________________________________________

It started with the jet, then cabs taking handfuls of everyone to shuttles that would take them to the smaller town to get mules. They ended up traveling to a town with animals, just to reach another town to get different animals. Then they were set for a long journey in the sandy desert for days.

Hours went by, and everyone was tired, hot, but still able to keep going, by foot or animal. Walking became the tedious necessity just to not think about how hot it was. Breaks for the animals were also for the people. There was nearly a dozen people, and a dozen animals for everyone.