Chapter 8; Just Like You

The next day arose, bringing a new day full of opportunity. Everything seemed normal, and no rebels set off alarms again, but the idea of them returning was on most people's mind at the secret unit. Without rebels, the agency had many more threats to handle as well.

Even so, Eve was working on investigating files, with her partner Grey to assist. He gets goes to grab some lists they need, and comes back hands full of case files and with warm mugs. He sits down at his own desk with a stack of files. A chai in a ceramic mug clanged lightly on Eve's desk. Grey nonchalantly placed it there. He casually sips a cup of his own. 

"Let me see what you've been working on." Grey nonchalantly glosses over the drink and scoots his chair closer to Eve's computer. He sets his tea down and leans over, propping an arm on her desk. She didn't have to move, but she did out of courtesy.

Eve gestures in a flourish, like she was showing off a car, jokingly. Grey just rolls his eyes and goes back to reviewing. He grabs his cup and grumbles. He shifts his body to use his free hand to point at the report. "It's not bad, but use less details in the top half and put it in the description boxes. That way it's easier to find what we're looking for and have less repeating details. Just don't leave anything important out in the overall report."

Eve's eyes widen, then shift between the written report, and her hands on the keyboard. "Oh, right. Got it...." She concentrates, correcting her report. She fixes where Grey had pointed out, and smiles again once it's complete. Clutching the mug Grey gave her, Eve brings it to her face to blow the steam. 

Some time passes looking at files and random activity of rare abilities. Things for the agents seemed like they were going accordingly. Nothing too out of the ordinary, and they had people and anomalies to check. But, not before a mandatory break.

After some silence that fell from concentrating at their own desk working, Grey spins his chair to Eve. "Got a green light on all your records?"

Eve turns her head, and with a giggle she presses a finger to her cheek innocently. "Yup! Everyone we have on file looks like they've been being good on our watch, hehe~!

Grey gets out of his seat with a tired huff. "Alright, let's take our break. How about lunch, and I cook?" He eyes Eve curiously, waiting for her response.

Eve tilts her head over and widens her eyes. "Oh? Sure. You can use my food and kitchen. I might have everything you'll need." She cheerfully smiles and waves a hand talking with it in vague gestures. She looked like an excited child.

Grey waves and moves out his chair. "You really don't have to go to such lengths or agree, it's fine. I just wanted to offer."

Eve tries to give Grey her reason, agreeing. "I don't mind, but is it alright if we go to mine? I still want to hangout with Sam on my break."

Grey just peers over to Eve. He then looks down coolly, crossing his arms. "Yes, that's perfectly fine. I'll stop by mine, just to get some things."

Eve chuckles softly, and warmly. "Hehe, deal."

Grey grabs his few belongings, and both empty cups of tea they had earlier that morning. He gives a small smirk, and walks off. Eve follows as he leaves. They enter the elevator with a few other workers and agents. Grey sternly adds, still conversing. "Another thing, I owe you for previous meals. We can go to the store together sometime, and I'll get it. Or, I'll pay you back another way." Not letting that go, Grey reminds Eve he's going to be even with her.

It was taking a while to pay Eve back, which only Grey minded. Then again, it's not like they hung out often, especially after the big argument. Eve really didn't mind. It has been a while since she's cooked for other people, in general, and she loves doing it.