Chapter 6; Things Left Unsaid

The next day began. Many were out on their usual commutes. The S.O.U. stood tall in the center of New York, the busy life surrounding the secrets laying underneath. Eve pops her head into the director's office before she starts working.

Eve didn't sleep well the night before, just thinking about this meeting with the director about something. She didn't care about their mission the other day. Only that if things like her tiger friend, and magical materials, were anything the S.O.U. has a record of.

Once Eve peers inside the office, she politely and meekly utters. "Good morning, Director Oracle. May we talk for a moment?" Her voice cut the quiet clicking the director was at his desk working, as he stopped to look up at her. He waved her in, and gave a warm smile.

Eve walks in, and her partner Agent Grey sneaks in following her. The director looks between the agents, and beams. "Good morning you two. Great work yesterday, how was your first mission, Maestro? Easy enough?"

Eve keeps her nervous look. She holds one of her arms and brushes it. "It was fine, but slightly alarming. It brought up at some point something I want to discuss with you. It's unrelated to cases, and is a personal matter."

The director nods and gestures a hand to two empty seats in front of his desk. "Oh I see, come in and sit."

Both Eve and Agent Grey sit facing the director. Grey looks the same as ever, cold and unreadable. Eve is acting skittish, playing with her feet in her seat, and shifting around. She was looking very worried. Director Oracle folds his hands, and rests his tilted, curious head on top. "What seems to be the matter?" He asked them.

Eve looks up and straightens herself when speaking. A hand idling in the air, then moving her hand to her heart. "Agent Grey has informed me of the S.O.U.'s involvement in unidentifiable, or rare creatures. I have a tiger named Sameer, and Sam... acts a little different. We wanted to ask if you know about other creatures that could understand humans and our ways. Like perhaps a familiar?... I wonder if the agency has anything I've heard of before."

The Director's eyes flashed a dusty, lavender gleam then closed and hummed to himself thinking. "Hmm... I don't believe we have anything quite like it. Maybe humanoid creatures with similar behavior, but I've never seen a correlation to familiars before. However, I can do a bit of digging and give you an answer soon. Does Sam do anything else that stands out as surprising?"

Eve shifts in her seat, trying to think of anything else. "Hm... Not really sure. He doesn't know about normal tiger life and behaviors, but that may be from being taken as a cub. He even tries to make noises that sound like a human baby babbling, hehe. He can answer yes and no questions, and understand multiple languages. That part just seems like a miracle. I asked about the familiar, because I believe an ancient book or scroll might have answers like that somewhere...."

Oracle thinks but is still perplexed by the question. He wonders if Eve could tell more, to understand the case. "Have you read something like this before?"

Eve thinks of a way to explain. An explanation, without mentioning her mentor. Eve tries her best to keep a calm face, but her eyes looked a bit scared. "In the past, just in old libraries... I remember it was about different creatures, their abilities, some link to humans. I also read from a book that they've been extinct for a long, long time."

The director understands a bit more. From what he at least knew, "Well, just like humans and plants, animals too have been appearing, much less frequent to find, sadly. It's true that some discovered creatures are kept in sanctuaries, others in government labs and testing. Depending on who found it first, but they've occasionally found indeed."

Eve looks at Oracle shocked. "Really?!- I know this might be unlikely, but... Could we see a sanctuary??" She jumps up and her eyes sparkle. Eve defaulted to her childish behavior. Animals, even rare creatures, are all a wonderful part of this earth's inhabitants.