Chapter 7; Light Versus Shadows

A few, quiet days pass. Eve had been uncharacteristically calm the whole time. She had been more cautious, but more preparing for what to come. Everything seemed like it was quiet, till one morning an emergency signal was set off from the base.

As the day began, speakers from the hall started to ring. People start to make way to the elevators and stairwells. Eve looks around curiously and sees Agent Grey bounding toward her. His face seemed more serious, yet Eve couldn't figure out what was going on.

Grey helps Eve's confusion and grabs his stuff from his desk, already starting to move away slowly. "Maestro? We got a problem. There's a hacker trying to access our database. That alarm means an outsider just tried to get in our systems. We have to all evaluate to a lower level of the unit."

Eve gets up, and rushes without her coat. She just takes her belongings and stuffs them into her tactical belt, with all her spells and ingredients. Eve catches up to Grey and she calls from behind him. "What do we do?"

They keep their pace and wait in the center elevators that lead further down than the main elevators in the hall. They wait with other agents, and Grey explains. "Since this is a threat on the unit, we must be the ones to find out who it is as outfield agents. And, stop them from further action."

Eve tilts her head. "But, how?!" She uttered, confused.

The doors open and Grey grabs Eve's arm and leads them inside before the elevator was full. "Hurry up, and follow me. Our tech and specialists are working on it right now, let's go down to the underground control room, and find out what they've got."

Once the doors opened, they were in a large room, full of controls, monitors, along with a giant center monitor. On the main screen, countless surveillance was broadcasted. People all crowd in the wide and spaced room, able to fit so many decently. Seas of people wave the partner agents into the center of the room. Eve walks towards the screen, and sees the director looking up at it in front of them. Grey walks over to him, she follows and stays slightly behind.

Grey points out while looking at the alert. "They used an EMP to hide from the first alarm, but the control room still locked them out. It seems they're using an odd encrypted device, or ability to come and go without a trace. It seems we might have some rebels or anarchists."

Eve whips her head to Grey. Her eyes go wide and she holds her fists to her cheeks. "Why would we have that?"

The Director steps in closer, hearing Eve's outburst from behind. He stands before the agents with a small smile still. "I can answer. Different viewpoints. We never know what they want, but it's usually never good. We don't know who they are, but we have this surveillance and the few security guards they tried to take out. They don't seem well planned out, or possibly though they could storm in here." Which was near impossible to do. And just a few people in masks didn't seem like enough at all.

Grey sternly breaths out. "What's the captain's orders?"

The director looks back at the monitor speaking, calmly and confidently. "We'll look at street surveillance and see if they go through any."

The surveillance lessened to just the area around the building, and a few blocks out. They go back to the time the alarm was set off, sped up to now, and the director's eyes glow as he observes. He points out to one of the monitors. Someone zones in at the camera footage Oracle spotted and projected it across the screen.

"Looks like we found one. A male just appeared, he wasn't there till a crowd past an alleyway and he took off running there. His hood fell off so I can see it's one with a gas mask still on. He's off in the east, agents. Go try to find them, but be inconspicuous." Oracle then turns back to the partner agents with his order.