too late

requests: open

in this story robin and max live at steve's house

slight tw near the end about suicide

It's been a month since nancy arrived in boston, she couldn't believe the relief she felt living in a place that wasn't hawkins. She still missed the party and the other older teens, mostly robin but she won't admit it.

Robin promised her she would keep in touch and to see how everything is going and she did, first she would call and they would talk for hours on end when nancy should've probably been working on her assignments.

As time went on nancy always felt this happy feeling when robin called. All she could think about was robin. Robin's raspy voice, her lips, the way her eyes shined. It was all robin, she didn't realize why at first, maybe because it's her first proper female friend her age since barb?

No, nancy knew this feeling was different when one day during their routine phone calls, they were saying goodnight and she imagined kissing robin's soft lips goodnight, cuddling with her and it hit her that she was in love with robin and it all made sense.

Nancy distanced herself after her realization, she knew robin is a lesbian and she's pretty sure mike is also gay so she has nothing against gay people but she's nancy wheeler. Nancy wheeler is the perfect daughter, she's supposed to get good grades, get in a good college, marry a man and have kids. Right?

That's what nancy kept telling herself everytime she would make excuses and lies to robin after just a few minutes of their conversation and sweet, sweet robin never questioned her if she's lying, Instead she would tell nancy to call her if she needs any help with anything. It made nancy's guilt worsen.

It was the time of their calls again and nancy could barely make herself talk to robin, "hey nance!" robin said, the clear excitement in her voice.

Nancy closed her eyes, "hey robin"

"Did you get my letter? I'm not sure if it would take longer to arrive or-"

"Yeah I got it" Nancy cut her off

Robin went silent for a few seconds, "oh- okay well I'm glad! I wasn't sure if I maybe wrote the wrong address but max convinced me I didn't" she laughed, "but how was your day today?"

Nancy sighed, "It was okay, listen robin I need to go I'm tired and need some sleep"

"Oh- uh yeah yeah of course" robin felt a bit hurt at the clear annoyance in her voice, nancy always asked her about her day too and they would talk about what they've done.

"Goodnight robin" nancy said

"Night nance" robin replied, nancy could hear the hurt and sadness in her voice but she told herself it was for the better.

Nancy stopped answering the calls after that night.

Robin and max were sitting down in their usual spot that they once found near a small lake. Max has been noticing something is off with robin for a few weeks now. Robin got taken out of her thoughts when she felt max elbow her playfully, "you okay rob?" she asked. Truthfully robin was far from okay but she didn't want to burden anyone with her thoughts, especially max.

She sighed, "yeah I'm okay just tired" ruffling max's hair. Max rolled her eyes playfully but she could see it in robin's eyes, something was going on but she didn't push it.

A few hours passed until robin broke the silence, "have you talked to nancy recently?" max was a bit taken back by the question, "uh yeah she called a few days ago, asking how everything is going"

Robin's body deflated, "did something happen between you two?" max asked

She knew it was pointless to lie now, she fidgeted with her rings. "She- she just has stopped answering my calls for a while now and I don't know what I did wrong I-"

Max quickly jumped in, "woah woah, would do you mean she just stopped answering you?"

Robin shrugged, "she just did and the last call we had I had asked about the letter I sent, I shouldn't have done that" shaking her head in disappointment at herself.

They were in max's room now. Max had told robin her plan to see if nancy really was avoiding robin or it was just a coincidence. Robin called first, it kept ringing until no one picked up, max sighed, picking up hers and dialing nancy's number.

It rang for a minute.

"Hello?"

Robin felt like she got punched in the stomach, nancy was ignoring her calls on purpose. She's done something and pushed away someone else again. Max watched with sad eyes as robin got up and walked out, going to her own room. The younger teen was going to call after her until she realized nancy would hear her.

"Hello?" nancy said again

"Oh hi nancy" max trying to keep her voice normal and not show her anger with her. "Hey max how's everything been?"

She could hear the smile in nancy's voice which made it worse, she couldn't handle it. "why have you been ignoring robin's calls"

There was a moment of silent before nancy stuttered, "I-I don't know what you mean max" she chuckled nervously. Max felt her anger grow more, "robin called you before I did nance. We were in the same room, you ignored her call and then I rang you after and you picked up in less than a minute so don't tell me you don't know what I mean!"

"Ma-"

Max cut her off, "no! You started ignoring robin for no reason and now she thinks she's done something wrong an-"

"Max please-"

Max cut her off with a gentle tone this time, "she's been having bad thoughts again nance"

Nancy felt all the air suck out of her lung, "she won't admit it but she finds comfort in talking to you for those few hours, she's struggling".

Nancy was going to blurt out everything until she heard steve from the distance yelling, "max what's going on?" she asked worriedly.

"ROBIN!" max ran out the room to seeing steve still yelling, her stomach dropped. Robin was laying in the bath, not moving. Robin buckley was dead, she had taken her own life. All nancy could hear was the sobs and screams of steve and max for her to wake up and the guilt feeling in her gut that she never told robin the truth.

Her last conversation with robin was something that will haunt nancy wheeler forever.

idk how to write happy endings apparently im so sorry