four

It's almost been a full two weeks since the incident happened. And so far, Jieun had managed to last for that long as Jaemin's bodyguard. You could say that he has developed a soft spot for her since he hasn't found any reason as to fire her. Well besides the part where she's so infuriating from time to time, but he manages to keep up with her attitude.

"It's been two weeks since you've attended college with me. I was wondering if you'd manage to make friends of your own since you're always keeping an eye out for me. I feel bad for taking up so much of your time that you aren't able to spend time for yourself." Jaemin spoke quietly as the two of them were currently in their libraries campus.
She stopped writing before looking at him with a soft smile on her face.
"Don't feel bad about it. I've managed to make a few friends of my own without you realising. There's this group of girls that I usually talk with whenever I'm not on duty."
Correction; there's these group of girls that I talk with  whenever I'm back at home every night, since that's my only free time. We like to talk about you and your friend group and how insufferable all of you are.

His face beamed with excitement. That's the first Jieun had ever seen him smile that brightly since he's always so grumpy.
"That's great!! Tell me about them!" He said in enthusiasm.
"If you're planning to hit up with one of them then that's a big no because I'm not letting you or your filthy friends flirt with them." She told him right off the bat. His usual unamused face was back.
"Geez Jieun, i just wanted to know more about your personal life and how life has been treating you lately. I have no intentions to hit up with anyone. And I'm also going to ignore the fact that you described my friends as filthy??" He explains. A bit offended that she'd assume that he wanted to flirt with her friends when he himself was called 'the women hater' by none-other than herself.
"Just making sure." Jieun replied, earning an eye roll from the lad.

"But since you wanted to know about my friends, i guess it won't hurt but to introduce you to them. My friends group consists of five people, including me. I'll make it brief so you don't end up listening to me rant about them, and so I don't go side tracked." She started off. Jaemin closing his notebook as he put his full attention on her, ready to listen to his lovely bodyguard talk about herself and her friends for once.

"There's Kisaki, she's like the biggest men hater I've ever met. People often mistaken her as a guy because of her short hair and the way she acts."
"Wait is she the girl that Hyuck is always fighting with?" Jaemin interrupted her as Jieun nodded her head a yes.
"Yeah she's always complaining about how annoying he is. Don't know what's up with them." A snort left Jaemin's lips.
"Funny because he's always whining about how infuriating she is in our group chat."
"If they keep talking shit about each other like that then they'd end up falling in love one day I swear." The girl complains as a soft laughter erupted from Jaemin's mouth.

"Then there's Nari. Prettiest girl I've ever met, she works at her grandparents bakery. The baked goods that they make whenever she brings some for us is just *muah, chef's kiss." Jieun continues.
"You're making me drool, I want to visit her grandparents bakery now that you've mentioned it."

"Then there's Sena and Jia. Sena's a very quiet and reserved person, she doesn't talk much but when she voices out her opinions, *wow this girl won't stop talking. As for Jia, a future lawyer who's side job is to fangirl. If I hear her talk about how much she loves Joy from red velvet or hear her sing the melody to call me baby, i swear I might explode." Jieun ended her statement there.
"You seem to really like your new friends allot huh." Jaemin spoke with a grin on his face. He's been observing her the whole time that she talked about her friends. Even if she was complaining a bit, the smile on her face whenever she talks about them would never dissapear.
"Is it that obvious? It's the first time that I've ever really made friends... I never really cared much about making relationships with people cause I feel like they'd just leave me at the end of the day." She explains.
The grin on Jaemin's face slowly turned into a frown. He reached out for her hands as he squeezes them for reassurance.

"How will you know that they'd leave you if you won't give people a chance. You'd find the right group of people that'll never leave your side." He said, making her look at him. Eyes filled with lost determination.
"Ever since my mom left, I've been scared of being abandoned." Jieun confesses. Letting out a weary laugh.
"If you don't mind me asking, why did she leave?" He asked. He was hesitant to ask her at first but curiosity got the best of him.
"She died. Someone murdered her."
The life was sucked out of Jaemin's face. Out of all the answer that she could've given him, that was one that he wasn't expecting. His face ghostly pale as he tried to muster up a quick "I'm so sorry, I didn't know. I should've never asked."

"It's fine. You deserve to know I guess since i know allot of things about you. Ever since her life has been taken away, I've made it my mission to find who that bastard that killed my mother was." She said filled with anger. Her not realising that she was gripping her pencil hardly with both hand that it snapped into two pieces.
Jaemin gulped nervously. Is that what would happen if he ever made her mad. Her snapping him into jagged pieces?

"Is that why you took a gap year? To find who the culprit was."
She leaned back into her chair before letting out a defeated sigh.
"Yes, but it all turned out to be a waste. I couldn't find anything. Its like they'd just vanished without leaving any evidence behind. Thirteen years had passed and nothing." Jieun fell silent as she just stares at the library's ceilings.
"Not even your father who's the chief of the police department could find anything?" He asked in disbelief as she shook her head a no.
"That's why I'm reinvestigating this case myself. I dont think I could ever live in peace if I couldn't solve this." She looks over at Jaemin and smiled faintly.

"I'll help you then." Jaemin spoke, catching her off guard as she nearly fell of her chair.
"Shut up."
"I'm serious." He pouts, his eyebrows arched as a V as he looks at her seriously.
"You already have someone trying to assassinate and threaten your life. You don't need to have another problem up your sleeves. Especially if its MY problem that you're dealing with." She tells him off as he shakes his head.
He's so stubborn there's no point trying to fight him and his ego.

"You can't do everything by yourself Jieun. You're already risking your life trying to protect me, so let me help you by finding this murderer who brought pain to your family, so I could help bring you and your family at peace." Jaemin stated. The girl just staring at him for a few second before smiling.
"You really know how to flatter a girls heart Jaem." She teases as she hits his shoulders lightly. He sat there as his ears started to heat up. Well he wasn't intending to flatter her, but I guess that's a new step for him now.

---
an introduction to the rest of the 00'liners potential love interest 🤭 and a clue to who's book is going to be next.