Chapter Eighteen

The garden party was casual enough to warrant light summer dresses, tea, and finger sandwiches. Everyone who remained appeared to be having a nice enough time, despite most knowing that they weren't going to be chosen to be Zander's partner.

Sera sat at the royal family's table as Jovan and Regina took their spots on the band stage to address all of the guests. She looked around to see Dea and Marek sitting at the same table. It was obvious that she was aware of the new arrangement and her expression had an air of victory on it. It made Sera's stomach turn. She looked up as she heard the clanging of glass coming from her father's spoon hitting his wine glass.

"I want to thank every one of you for coming to stay with us this past week. We appreciate your patience and hope that you have all enjoyed your time in Nautica. We have some exciting news for you all."

Jovan paused to check for everyone's attention.

"The first bit of news is that my daughter, Serafina, is now added to the line of succession for the Kingdom of Regnum. I am happy to announce for the first time my daughter, Princess Serafina."

Sera gave a small and awkward wave but remained seated. Everything felt so strange and even more so with people clapping towards her.

"Yes, this is certainly some positive news. My next bit of news is that my son, Crown Prince Zander, has chosen a bride. The next queen of Regnum will be Princess Celina Draconis of Demarcus."

Everyone gave another round of applause, louder than the first round of applause. But then Marek stood right as the clapping began to quieten and raised his glass.

"And in return the new queen of Demarcus and future bride of my son, Crown Prince Elek, is the newly titled Princess Serafina Gavriil of Regnum."

Dea clapped enthusiastically. Everyone else gave an even more awkward applause than when Sera was announced as a princess. People were clearly confused. And Jovan's face was very much annoyed but he was quick to hid it and gave his glass a small raise to make it appear that he was in the know about Marek's declaration.

Regina and Jovan returned to their seats with Zander and Sera. Regina patted her husband on the hand.

"He will be leaving soon enough."

"And he'll be back for the wedding. Being related to that man makes my skin crawl. He's such a vile person."

"Everything will be okay. Let's just put the finishing touches on this week and have the wedding quickly. I will get in touch with our top astrologer and set a date as soon as we can and then we can relax for a bit."

He held her hand and squeezed.

"I hope you're right."

Sera could feel the contents of her stomach trying to naw its way out.

"Father should I be doing anything different? Should I be spending more time is Prince Elek?" She twiddled with her napkin.

Jovan gave her a soft look.

"No, sweetheart. You just keep focusing on your volunteer work and education. I won't prevent you from spending time with the Demarian prince but you are certainly not required to. Remember that I will be working on this matter as much as possible to give you as many opportunities as possible."

She nodded her head and continued to eat her lunch as people came to their table to congratulate Zander. It was within no time at all when Dea approached the table and took a seat between Zander and Jovan, a prideful smirk very apparent on her face.

"Can I do something for you Mother?" Jovan placed his cup down.

Dea's outward disposition didn't waver at her son's rather cold demeanor.