Chapter Seven

The aroma of the sea came in through the window along with a light mist that touched her facc. Even though her eyes remained closed, Sera knew that she made it back to her home and was laying in her bed. The sounds around her were quiet at first, but as more of her senses were rekindling she could tell that there was actually a lot of movement going on around her.

She could feel the dull ache in her abdomen where the dagger had struck her but it wasn't as blinding as it had been. Shallowly she began twitching her fingers, testing her strength.

"Father! I think she's waking up!" Zander's voice rang like a bell by her side. 

Soon a rush of footsteps made their way towards her bed. Now was a better chance than any to see if she could open her eyes. 

As they fluttered open they were met with stormy eyes staring down at her. Zander was hovering over her, as if floating, and investigating any sign that she was alert. She felt herself give a small smile, and he returned the smile with the largest smile she had ever seen him put on. Then she saw the water building up in those tired eyes.

"Oh, Sera! I'm so happy you're awake!" He cried. 

A hand touched the top of her crown. Sera looked for the source of the hand and saw her father holding back tears as well.

"Hi Dad." Her voice squeaked out.

"You gave us quite the scare, sweetheart. But you fought your way to come back to us. Welcome back." He continued to pat her head and stare at her as she observed the rest of her surroundings.

At the foot of her bed were her most trusted guards, making complete messes of their faces with waterfalls flowing freely.

"Hi everyone." Her throat was dry and her voice was weak but she managed the words as best as she could. But her words seemed to have made them cry harder, which wasn't her intent. It actually made her heart clench with guilt.

Pushing past everyone was Cicero coming through with a much needed glass of water. He gently raised her head and raised the glass for her to drink.

"Slowly, my child.. Slowly. Too fast and it'll make you sick." He warned.

At first it burned going down but slowly she could feel the desert that was in her mouth and throat fade away. She didn't stop until she drank the last drop. Water had never been so appreciated in all of her life.

"Good job. That'll help you speak." Cicero lowered her head back down. "You're going to need to take it easy for a bit but I am happy to say that you will make a full recovery. It was scary for a while but you defied all odds and came back."

Cicero patted her on the head and turned and walked away towards his medical bag.

"How long was I out for?" Her voice was less scratchy than before.

"Two weeks. It would have been less time but you were poisoned when you were wounded." Zander spoke, and then his eyes began to water again. "For a while we honestly didn't know if you were going to make it or not. I'm so happy that you did." 

Two weeks. Sera would have thought it was only a few hours. She theorized that the Limbo that she was in ran with time a bit differently than what she was used to. 

Looking around, she saw her friends still staring at her with messy faces. It really did make her heart tighten.

"I'm okay, I promise. I can't be taken down so easily." She tried to make a joke but that seemed to have made their faces uglier and wetter.

"Sera, I will never forgive myself. I will accept any punishment that you deem appropriate." Jelena's cheeks were stained with waterfalls as she kneeled down beside Sera.