Chapter 15.

The next day

It's about 2 hours before my game and I'm literally just standing here in front of my bathroom mirror staring at myself.
My red and white basketball uniform with the number 3 plastered on both the front and back on, and my hair in a high ponytail. I need to start heading to school, but I can't seem to remember how to move my legs. I don't know why I'm so nervous but I am.

"Lexi! Come on!" My sister and mom yell from downstairs snapping me back into reality. "Coming!" I Say as I grab my gym bag and rush down the stairs.
The whole drive to school is quiet and when we get there I decide to just leave to meet the rest of my team in the locker room. my mom makes sure to wish me good luck and give me a quick kiss on the cheek. Just like old times.

--

30 minutes until game time and my team is sitting in the locker room all chatting about who's coming to see them tonight and how excited they are. I try to block out the noise by placing my headphones in my ears and listening to music, but it's no use, the group of teenage girls is way too loud.

"I heard Nate's coming back tonight. Oh my god, he's so hot I miss seeing him all sweaty on the court!" one girl squeals. I smile to myself and begin to calm down, remembering that Nate, Johnson, Gilinsky, Cameron, Matt, and Ebony will be in the stands tonight cheering me on no matter what happens.

"BOMB ASS Sammy's gonna be here too! None of the boy's team ever comes to see our games anymore" another girl exclaims. My eyes grow wide.
Sammy's coming?
I can't help but feel even more relief wash over me, I used to always play better knowing he was in the stands. It really wouldn't be a game without him.
All of a sudden Coach comes I yelling and clapping, "OKAY GAME TIME! LET'S GO! LET'S GO!"

--

1:45 left in the game and we need 5 points to win. We all huddle around our coach discussing what we need to do to even have a shot at winning this game.

"Alexia, you need to shoot a 3"

"What?!" I exclaim, my eyes growing wide.

I haven't shot a 3-pointer in years and the one time I did I honestly just got lucky. I'm 5'2, I'm lucky that I can even make the lay ups that I do.

"We need two 3's and I'm counting on you to at least get one" I can't even say anything, I can't argue with him, so I just gulp and nod my head in agreement.

The buzzer sounds, indicating the end of our time out as we all rush back onto the court.

Before I know it #17, the blonde girl who was going on about Sammy in the locker room, passes the ball to me.
Shit. Shit. Shit. Here goes nothing.
I dribble down the court and go for the 3, making sure to fall through with the fade-away once the ball leaves my hands.

SWISH. And everyone in the crowd is suddenly on their feet cheering.
A sense of relief and pride rush through me. Did I really just shoot a 3-pointer?

--

42 seconds now left on the clock and I've just been racing up and down the court trying to get my teammates to realize that I'm wide open. When the ball finally gets passed to me, I turn around and dribble up to the basket ready to make a lay-up when I hear a whistle get blown. Foul..

The clock stops for a few seconds as I walk up to the free throw line. The only thing audible to me is my heart beating out of my chest. The clock starts again and I dribble the ball three times before shooting. SWISH. That's one.

The whole gym has become quiet as the clock is now counting down from 10. Where the fuck did the time go?
I dribble three times and shoot again.
SWISH.