sixteen

5 days later

It was currently Friday night, and Hazel found herself getting ready for that party Ben was throwing at his house. There wasn't any specific reason he was throwing one; he's just always in the mood for it.

Mason and Hazel hadn't seen each other since the game. Mason was occupied with training, and Hazel started her job just at the start of this week on the Monday. She will work mainly on the weekends and a few days on the weekdays, late. Luckily, she didn't work on Fridays.

Despite both being busy, it didn't stop them from texting each other. Both would check on each other now and then, sometimes sending memes before going to sleep, and just have normal conversations like friends do.

Esther had left just this morning, and the house was empty without her—well, almost empty. Hazel's grandparents were still at the house, and like usual, they would tease their granddaughter for being so caught up with Mason on the phone, but were very proud of her for finally getting a job.

"Wow, look at you!" Hazel's grandmother watched her from the living room as she was walking down the stairs.

"Is it too much?" Hazel asked, a bit worried she was overdressed even though she was only wearing a black skinny dress that showed off her figure; it was not something she was used to wearing.

"Definitely not," her grandmother smiled, and she walked over to her granddaughter, fixing her ginger hair that was slightly wavy today.

"Is he here?" Her grandmother asked her

"Yeah, he just texted," Hazel said as she let out a deep breath. She was a bit nervous to see him, though. She was way out of her comfort zone.

"Why don't you ask him to come in?"

"He's just picking me up, no biggie," Hazel said.

"When he becomes your boyfriend then?" Her grandmother teased her.

"Ha ha, I'm going now; I love you," she said, placing a kiss on her grandmother's cheek before heading to the door.

"Make sure you don't leave his side; we don't know what creeps there'll be in that house," she shouted at her granddaughter.

"Bye, grandma," Hazel said, slightly chuckling at her protectiveness. Hazel locked the door behind her and saw Mason standing outside the car; he had the door opened for her with a smile on his face.

"You look nice," he complimented her.

"So do you, Mase," she smiled at him. They both pulled in for a quick hug before she took a seat, thanking him for holding the door for her.

Mason quickly walked to the driver's seat and sat down. "Excited?" He asked as he turned the car on.

"Just a bit nervous," she admitted with a shrug.

"No need to be nervous; I'll be with you," he assured her with a smile. Hazel smiled back at him.

They had arrived after a few minutes. Mason parked his car a couple of blocks away, not too close in case there weren't any spaces near Ben's house. They walked over to the house; the music could be heard from the outside, and considering it was almost summer, people were partying outside too.