nine

Mason had been to another training session, just watching his teammates like yesterday. He then decided to go back to the cemetery, to visit his grandfather's graveyard, knowing he wouldn't have to come back here every day now that he was feeling slightly better and more accepting.

Just as he parked the car, he found Hazel walking fast towards her car, and it seemed like she had been crying, with her hands drying her tears.

He quickly got out of the car and jogged over, "Hazel!"

She looked up at him and stopped in her tracks, "Oh...hey." She used her hands to wipe her tears away, trying to look like she wasn't upset.

"Is everything ok?" He asked worried.

"Yeah, I'm fine," she sniffled as she looked away, drying her wet hands on her shirt, failing miserably to sound convincing.

"You don't have to pretend, Hazel, I won't judge," Mason said with a soft voice.

She kept sniffling but looking at him this time, she knew she could talk to him; she had practically told him everything about her life already; there was nothing she needed to hide anymore.

"Things are just hard...you know," she kept wiping her tears away, which didn't seem to stop. He nodded, understanding what she meant.

"I just miss her so much," she broke down into more tears. Mason didn't hesitate; he pulled her into a hug, which she quickly accepted. He held her tight so she wouldn't fall; he could tell she was feeling weak in her legs.

She had her arms wrapped around his waist, and her head against his chest, crying, while he had his arms wrapped around her neck, with his chin resting on top of her head, comforting her the best he could.

They hugged for some time until her tears finally stopped. She carefully leaned back, drying her tears with her hands, as Mason removed his arms from and placed them on her waist automatically, making sure she was okay.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to break down in front of you," she felt embarrassed, but he quickly shook his head.

"Don't apologise; I know it's difficult; it's okay to be upset," he assured her.

She smiled at him and nodded. "I'm going home now; I'll let you go visit your grandfathers grave," she said, stepping back as his hands let go of her waist.

"Are you able to drive?" he asked, not knowing if she was too emotional to drive.

"I feel better now, thank you, Mason," she said, taking his hand and squeezing it. The hug from him really helped her, she needed it more than she thought she would.

"No worries, drive safe, ok?" he squeezed her hand back, she nodded before she went over to her car, ready to leave the place.

As soon as she left, he let out a deep breath. It broke his heart to see her cry like that. He knew that feeling, and he didn't wish it upon anyone.

He slowly took himself to the cemetery, taking the path over to the graves, when he looked over at Hazel's mother's grave. He couldn't stop himself, so he decided to go and check it out.

He slowly walked over, checking every headstone. He found the right one; the white roses were right there. He crouched down, reading the words on the headstone: "A beloved daughter, mother, and friend. Rose Anderson, 1978–2023."

He looked at the decorations too, noticing a small picture of her and what looked like Hazel when she was a bit younger. Her mother Rose had ginger hair just like Hazel; they almost looked like sisters instead of mother and daughter. Mason smiled to himself, finding the picture beautiful.

Before walking over to his grandfathers grave, he sat down for a bit, paying his respects for her, and thinking about Hazel, and how awful she must be feeling right now. Loosing a mother has to be the worst kind of pain a person can go through.

-

🖤AN: This one is short but considering I posted two chapters today, I hope that's ok. I will still post a new chapter everyday :)