eleven

🖤AN: I posted chapter 10 and 11 at the same time, read chapter 10 if you've accidentally skipped it :)

Another week later...

"Zella?" Hazels grandfather looked at the direction of where the staircase was in the house. He was confused to see her out form her bed. Their granddaughter had, for the first time in two weeks, gotten out of that room.

"Morning," she finished walking down her steps, greeting her grandparents with a hug each.

They both looked at her, confused, not understanding what was going on. She has been isolated in her room for two whole weeks now, and now, all of a sudden, she's dressed up and ready to go somewhere.

"Is this real life?" Her grandfather asked in seriousness, and Hazel let out a chuckle and looked at the two.

"I listened to what you two said last night; I need to do something with my life other than waste it away by crying," she said.

Her grandparents had walked into her room yesterday, giving her some encouragement but also letting her know that they understand why she's not ok. That was the cherry on top for Hazel. Seeing her grandparents upset and worried because of her made her hurt more. She needed to get on with her life, try to get used to the pain.

Of course it was going to be hard. Just because she got out of bed and got changed, it didn't mean that it was going to be easy doing that every day. But this was a good first step.

Her grandmother pulled her into a hug, which her grandfather soon joined; "I love you both so much; We're gonna he ok," she mumbled.

"Don't rush anything, dear; we'll be right here," her grandfather assured her.

———

Mason pulled up at the cemetery. At this point, he was just desperate to see Hazel. He needed to know if she was ok or if she was just avoiding him on purpose.

He parked the car in the parking lot and took himself to the graveyards. As soon as he got to the hill, he saw her right there, sitting on the bench. He knew it was her as soon as he saw her ginger hair.

"You're back," he let out a deep breath, relieved that he found her back here.

She turned around, holding a cigarette in her hand, smiling at him, "I'm back."

"I didn't know you smoked," Mason said as he walked over to the bench.

"I don't, I just needed to ease my stress," she shrugged as Mason took a seat next to her.

"I was wondering where you were. You had me a bit worried," he admitted.

"You don't have to worry about me," she said as she got rid of her cigarette.

"It's kind of hard not to," he looked at her, "what have you been up to?"

"In bed...crying...sleeping...questioning my existence," she said, "just grieving." She let out a deep breath, finding it somewhat hard to talk about it.

"You know you're not alone.." Mason reminded her. He saw the tears forming in her eyes as she looked at him; he intertwined his hand in hers, assuring her that she wasn't alone.

She looked at their hands, smiling, feeling slightly better, "Thank you."

"How's football going then?" She changed subjects, not wanting to talk about how depressed she's been.

"I'm starting training in a few days actually," he smiled, happy that he could finally play football again.

"I'm happy for you," she smiled.

"Thank you."

They sat there for a while, quietly, not talking but just enjoying each other's presence and the moment, not realizing they were still holding hands.

"I wanted to ask you something," Mason broke the silence.

"Mhm," she let him continue.

"Did you hear about the festival in London tomorrow?"

"No, I haven't heard anything about it," she looked at him curiously.

"There will be food and concerts, games, and all that stuff," he explained.

"Are you going?" She asked him

"I was thinking that maybe we could go together," he hesitantly asked. He had thought about this for a while and he thought it be good for the two of them to do something fun other than grieving in a cemetery.

"You want to go with me?" She asked curious and a bit shocked, she had never really gone to places like these, it's kind of hard doing fun things when you don't really have friends.

"I thought we could distract ourselves with some fun...only if you want to, of course," he said.

She thought about it for a second; she knew she needed to let loose a bit and have some fun after everything she's been through, so she didn't need much time to think. "Ok, sure," she said with a smile.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah," she nodded

"I suppose I can ask for your number then?" He looked at her, feeling a bit nervous to ask her, he didn't want to seem desperate even though he really was deep down.

"Yeah, of course," she smiled. They finally let go of each other's hands, not thinking much of it. He brought out his phone, letting her type in her number before she handed it back to him.