fourteen

It had been about two days, and Mason was getting ready for the game that was starting in about 30 minutes. They've just finished the warm-ups, and although he's only been in training for two days, he's sure that he'll get a few minutes on the pitch. But for now, he was on the bench, supporting the boys from there.

Being back at Stamford made him feel excited to play again; the atmosphere brought more nervousness to him, but he was ready for anything today.

As predicted, not a lot happened in the first half. Potter wasn't satisfied with how the boys were playing; they were defending more than attacking and needed to change that soon.

Both teams had equal possessions, meaning both were playing at the same level. At halftime, Potter let the same players continue playing but decided with 20 minutes left, he would substitute.

Mason looked up from his seat, seeing Potter signaling for him to get ready to come on and play. At that moment, Mason felt his heart race; it was time.

He took off his vest and took himself over to the sidelines, and Potter brought him over to himself, giving him instructions. Mason was changing for Ruben.

He could hear his name being chanted by the fans; a smile was brought to his face, and he ran out and took himself over to his position. The game resumed again.

Minutes passed and passed, but none of the teams were lucky yet. Mason was working hard and needed to do everything he could to help the team. That's all he could think of.

It had seemed like his thoughts had been heard when suddenly he was given a free kick after the opponent tackled him.

The boys encouraged him to take the free kick to get the feeling back of maybe scoring...and he did. He scored a free kick, and all he could do was run and point up to the sky, dedicating that goal to his grandfather.

———

"I hope you're proud," Mason smiled to himself. He was sitting at his grandfather's grave, just hours after the game, and this time happier than most previous days.

"I'm sure he is," Hazel said, standing right behind him. Mason looked up, surprised to see her here. He smiled at her; they hadn't seen each other since the festival.

"Congrats on your goal; it was a nice free kick," she smiled at him as she sat down next to him.

"Thank you," he looked at her, "so you watched the game?"

"Watching football is literally the only thing that succeeds to keep me distracted," she chuckled.

"So you support Chelsea then?" Mason asked amused.

"I told you I don't support a team," she replied with a grin.

"There were four other games playing at the same time, but you decided to watch Chelsea," he exposed her.

"It's different when your friend is playing," she shrugged. Mason smiled at the words she described him as, "friends." But a part of him wished she would feel more than that, like he had been feeling lately.

"Well, thanks for the support," he said, making them both chuckle.

"I could fix tickets for you; if you want?" He asked as he looked at her.

"Oh, no, that's ok, Mason, really," she shook her head, not wanting him to feel bad for her or something like that.

"It's fine, Hazel; it would actually make me happy if I could do that for you."

"Are you sure? I don't want to be-"

"Don't finish that sentence; I'll send you over the tickets via message," he assured her. She looked at him hesitantly; she didn't want him to think she was using him because she's definitely not. Seeing him here at the cemetery was special enough.

"Maybe bring a friend too?" he suggested, thinking it would make her feel less nervous about coming.

"I don't have other friends, Mase," she reminded him, causing them both to laugh. "But my cousin Esther is coming over in a few days; I guess I could take her with me," she shrugged, thinking about it.

"Perfect, don't worry about how to get there; I'll pick you guys up," he smiled at her.

"No, I can't let you do that too, Mase," she shook her head, "how am I going to pay you back after this?" she chuckled.

"Being at the game is enough for me," he assured her, "please?"

"Ok, you win," she chuckled, letting herself smile at his kindness.

-

AN: I promise you that the upcoming chapters from now on will be a lot more interesting and things will happen, thanks for your patience 🫶